Is 5 gallons the magic number?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schulzzw

Reaction score
I have been thinking about starting to brew at home. The problem is I live in a little one bedroom apartment. The smallest batch I ever see people talking about is 5 gallons. Would it be possible to do smaller batch or is 5 gallons the magic number?

5 is the magic number primarily because it is the size mist common for your standard home fermenter. One could produce 3 gallon batches or smaller, but the increased space in the fermenter could lead to oxygenation. Not common, but it is possible.
Also the brewing process is time consuming and laborious. To spend an afternoon brewing and make anything less than 5 gallons (roughly 60 beers) would be tantamount to wasting. If you're content to spend your time and energy on a smaller batch, be my guest. But you'll still use the same amount of yeast, which can be a costly part of brew. Personally I make 10 to 15 gallon, but that's mostly because my friends can't leave my beer alone. I've had kegs (also 5gal) finished within hours before. It would be too much work to spend a days time for 3 hours worth of beer.
So, best of luck in your endeavors. Make whatever size batches you wish, but eventually when you make a phenomenal beer, I bet you'll wish you had made more.

5 is the magic number primarily because it is the size mist common for your standard home fermenter. One could produce 3 gallon batches or smaller, but the increased space in the fermenter could lead to oxygenation. Not common, but it is possible.
Also the brewing process is time consuming and laborious. To spend an afternoon brewing and make anything less than 5 gallons (roughly 60 beers) would be tantamount to wasting. If you're content to spend your time and energy on a smaller batch, be my guest. But you'll still use the same amount of yeast, which can be a costly part of brew. Personally I make 10 to 15 gallon, but that's mostly because my friends can't leave my beer alone. I've had kegs (also 5gal) finished within hours before. It would be too much work to spend a days time for 3 hours worth of beer.
So, best of luck in your endeavors. Make whatever size batches you wish, but eventually when you make a phenomenal beer, I bet you'll wish you had made more.

I vote for this as the best 7th post by a member ever.

I started with one gallon batches, all grain, because of my tiny apartment. Downside: you have to brew all the time to keep beer in the fridge. Upside: tons of variety.

I fermented in the one gallon apple cider jugs. If you start with small batches, I would reccomend doing extract. Spending 3-4 hours to get 8 pints of brew is a little rough.

You won't have oxygenation issues and you don't need to use the same amount of yeast as in a five gallon batch. That first reply was a bit misleading. I use to just pitch a half a packet of dry yeast.

BrooklynBrewShop is where I got started. Only did one kit ans then made my own recipes from there. It's funny, I didn't even know about extract til after I was a few brews in.

I started with Mr. Beer, persevered and went to partial mash. Looking back, I'd wish I'd started with the BBS's (or something similar), I think it would've given me a bit more of a positive outlook on home brewing.

This is exactly why 10 gallon batches are in my near future. I pretty well have figured out so far what my "house brews" are going to be, so it will be no more work to brew 10 as it would 5.

Small batches are typically reserved for sample/test beers or specialty beers. I brewed 3 gallons of a rauchbier for primarily food use. Although all that has been done so far is drinking it!

Trust me your apartment isnt smaller than mine. I wouldn't brew less than 5, like others have stated its probably the same amount of work for less beer.

I forgot about Mr. Beer... those were the best 2 gallon batches ever.I will never make another one though. Times have changed.

5 gallons is a standard size, but not magic. Start with whatever size you have equipment for. Just know that your consumption will go way up once you start brewing your own. When I first started, I'd go through a six pack in two weeks. Now, I drink at least a pint a day! 5 gallons lasts about a month, which is roughly the time it takes to get my next batch ready.

iaefebs said:
I vote for this as the best 7th post by a member ever.

I have only been here for 18 months or so, but this was a fan fricking tactic post. +1

You can do five gallon batches. I live in a 600 sq ft apartment with my girlfriend , my dog , and a cat and I brew 5 gallon batches. Shoot most of the time I have multiple brews going at once. When you get down to it the space savings you will gain by going with 2-3 gallon batches will be minimal. Once you are done using everything it all can be stacked in a relatively small floorspace. Plus once you are addicted and want to brew lots of beer you will be disappointed with how quickly you go through it when you only brew small batches. A few pints to friends, coworkers and family on a small batch system means you get relatily little for yourself, and at least for me part of the fun is sharing my beer with Friends.

I have been thinking about starting to brew at home. The problem is I live in a little one bedroom apartment. The smallest batch I ever see people talking about is 5 gallons. Would it be possible to do smaller batch or is 5 gallons the magic number?

Another thing to consider is how much do you drink? Do you like a variety of beers? Do you like brewing and not consider the work involved?
If you drink relatively small amounts and like to try different beer recipes then maybe smaller batches would suit you.
I have brewed 11.5L and 15.5L batches regularly mainly because I like to BIAB using Death Brewers method on the kitchen stove. Very happy with the beers and I love brewing and do not care about the work to product ratio.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

For brewing extract beer or canned kits if you have enough space to keep a 5gallon bucket in a corner or in a cupboard then do 5 gallons. I do one gallon batches of cider and things but you only get about 7-8 bottles from that. Plus, when you buy kits or ingredients many of them are in quantities too large for one gallon only, so you would have to store a one gallon fermenting vessel (or more) plus all the ingredients in your fridge.

I've been doing 1 Imperial gallon batches so far, it is a lot of effort for the amount, but it means you get to learn from your mistakes much faster, each batch costs a lot less in ingredients, and you don't have to spend hours trying to get it all in bottles!

I will agree that it takes the same amount of time to make a 5 gallon batch as a 2.5 gallon batch. I will brew 5 gallon batches for tried and true recipes. But for recipes off the internet or a new style of beer its 2.5 gallon batches. I find that plenty of beer to see if I like it or let me know that I need to tweak it or toss it.
If you plan your beers so that you can reuse your yeast you will save $5.00 a pop. With all grain I don't think you save anything brewing a 5 gallon batch over a 2.5 gallon batch.

Thanks everyone for all the tips. Looks like I have a lot of options out there even for my small apartment. Can't wait to get started!

My apartment is TINY, and I live with a wife and two cats. 5 gallons is no problem, especially when you're brewing extract and don't need to store grains or MLT/sparge equipment. I have experienced a little equipment creep, so storage is our biggest issue, but it isn't really.

You can brew 5 gallons in your apartment, no problem. I think 2.5 cases per batch is a good amount
once you have a few batches under your belt, you can have a great selection around the house.

Another thing to consider is how much do you drink? Do you like a variety of beers? Do you like brewing and not consider the work involved?
If you drink relatively small amounts and like to try different beer recipes then maybe smaller batches would suit you.
I have brewed 11.5L and 15.5L batches regularly mainly because I like to BIAB using Death Brewers method on the kitchen stove. Very happy with the beers and I love brewing and do not care about the work to product ratio.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

This is a long-winded way of saying, "I concur."

My first two batches were 5-gallon extract brews. The problem is that I don't drink *that* much beer. I've now moved to 2.5-gallon all-grain BIAB. I can do these on my stovetop with no additional equipment and I can have more of a variety of beer on hand with the number of bottles I have and the storage space I have and know that I can go through the beer before it gets too old.

Yes, it is true that the yeast packets are sized for 5-gallon batches and, yes, it is true that most kits are designed for 5-gallon batches, but there is nothing magic about the number 5. If the hobby had started out with 6-gallon batches, then most homebrewers would make 6 gallons at a pop.

Yes, it is true that the amount of work to brew a smaller batch is about the same as a larger batch. (The bottling obviously takes more time.) But you have to do what makes sense for your situation, considering equipment, storage space for the beer, what and how much you like to drink, time, expense, etc.

smyrnaquince said:
Yes, it is true that the yeast packets are sized for 5-gallon batches and, yes, it is true that most kits are designed for 5-gallon batches, but there is nothing magic about the number 5. If the hobby had started out with 6-gallon batches, then most homebrewers would make 6 gallons at a pop.

Yes, it is true that the amount of work to brew a smaller batch is about the same as a larger batch. (The bottling obviously takes more time.) But you have to do what makes sense for your situation, considering equipment, storage space for the beer, what and how much you like to drink, time, expense, etc.

Word!

There's nothing wrong with small batches. Get a 2-pack of 3-gal better bottles for $40 and have at it. You can do AG without special equipment, have lots of variety, it's easier to experiment, etc.

For me I get 28 or so bottles out of a 2.75 gal batch. Thats plenty. By the time I've drunk a batch, I'm tired of it and want something different. Don't know what I'd do with 60 bottles of the same beer. In fact, the last 5-gal batch I made was last winter. Half of it is still in the basement. Cheers!

I too started out with a Mr Beer kit and brewed about once a month for about 4 years, and augmented my drinking with store-bought beer. With Mr Beer's price increases, it was no longer economically realistic to brew 2.5-gallon batches, so I bought a 5-gallon kit from Best Brew and still brew about once a month, but reduced my commercial beer drinking. Next purchase will be a bigger pot and outdoor burner :D

Small batches go easier for me personally. I like the mini kegs and I like the variety. I try to get under 3.5 gallons for my batches. I mini keg 1.5 gallons, bottle the rest, then store the bottles away. Works for me.

Back