5 gal buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
So I just got 2 5 gal buckets my mom used to use for wine making. When I make a 5 gal batch though the beer will be pretty close to the lid. I know alot of people use blow out tubes but I don't know how to use these. If there isn't much room left in the bucket will I need to use one of these or will an airlock be fine? thanks for the advice!

Split the beer up between the two buckets and use airlocks. Rack into one secondary after fermentation is complete. At least that is how I would do it.

So I just got 2 5 gal buckets my mom used to use for wine making. When I make a 5 gal batch though the beer will be pretty close to the lid. I know alot of people use blow out tubes but I don't know how to use these. If there isn't much room left in the bucket will I need to use one of these or will an airlock be fine? thanks for the advice!

Oooh. That's not good. You'll get a blowoff every time and lose a fair bit of your beer. An Ale Pail isn't very expensive. I buy them here for about $10 a piece. It's worth the investment.

I just filled one up with water to 5 gallons. There is 2 inches left between the 5 gal mark and the lid....should that be enough to just use an air lock???

You MIGHT get away with it if you use some Fermcap or some other foam control product. Otherwise, get ready for Old Faithful. :D The more experienced can chime in on the use of foam control and blowoff.

Two inches is not enough. You will get overflow most of the time. either make a smaller batch or use both buckets as said above.

Back