How does filtration (Birta, Pur) change water chemistry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotsoncs

Reaction score
I was discussing water chemistry with a fellow brewer and he mentioned that he filtered (Pur, Brita, etc) his water prior to brewing but still based his water chemistry calculations off of his initial water report. He swears that it doesn't change the value of the important ions and that he only does it to remove the Fluoride from his municipal water.

I didn't know enough about the process to dispute what he said but it still doesn't sound correct. Can anyone here clarify it for me? TIA!

Brita filters contain activated carbon, anion and cation exchange resins and colloidal silver. They will, therefore, remove much of the chlorine, chloramine and other organics as well as everything else. What comes out of a Brita is very low ion water up to the point where the exchange resins are depleted. Tiny amounts of silver are added to keep the water sanitized. At least that's the way they used to work. I haven't analyzed the water from one in years.

I was discussing water chemistry with a fellow brewer and he mentioned that he filtered (Pur, Brita, etc) his water prior to brewing but still based his water chemistry calculations off of his initial water report. He swears that it doesn't change the value of the important ions and that he only does it to remove the Fluoride from his municipal water.

I didn't know enough about the process to dispute what he said but it still doesn't sound correct. Can anyone here clarify it for me? TIA!

I'm not sure about Brita, but I know for sure that PUR doesn't remove fluoride. It does reduce the chloride and its byproducts, though. I use it because the ancient apartment I live in uses ancient water heaters that were made with faulty dip-tubes made out of a polypropylene compound that breaks down and gets into the water.

I have a "Whole House" filter that is much like a Brita that at the main pipe in my crawl space. When I previously brewed I would simply use a Brita Filter to filter my water and I had 0 problems. I am wondering if my Whole House filter will be as effective.

Back