Second original batch, input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleedbluesgtr71

Reaction score
I need some input/criticism on my second original IPA. It Will be a 2.5 gallon batch.

1 lb of Marris Otter (Mash at 158-160F)
3 lbs of Munton's Amber LME
2 lbs of Munton's Light LME

1oz of Centennial (60 mins, pellets)
1oz of Cascade (20 mins, pellets)
1oz of Cascade (5 mins, pellets)

Irish moss last 15 minutes
White Labs California Ale

Actually i just worked that out and that would be around 10 percent ABV. Thats way too much considering that i dont have enough hops. I decided to cut out the Muntons Light DME. By the way i meant for both of those to be DME not LME. Does that sound better?

Why mash a small about of a base grain? Wondering what your set up is? If you have the capability it would be more effective to go all grain. If not then it would be better to steep a speciality grain to get better color or flavor depending on what you use.

I cant decide if i should use centennial or cascade hops. I know both would be great, and i know centennial hops are essentially super cascades. But im worried it might to overpowering in aroma compared to the cascades. Thoughts?

I cant decide if i should use centennial or cascade hops. I know both would be great, and i know centennial hops are essentially super cascades. But im worried it might to overpowering in aroma compared to the cascades. Thoughts?

Cascades and Centennial have pretty different properties. I certainly don't think of Centennials as super Cascade. I'd recommend you use only the lightest extract you can find and use specialty grains to get your flavor. When you use amber extract you have no idea of or control over what's in it. Also, DME is almost fresher than LME.

I too, would cut out the amber DME altogether, use all light or extra light DME. Then maybe a touch of a low lovibond cara type malt, crystal 20 or 40 would be great. And more late hops, lots more. Try and oz at 15, 10, 5, and 0 mins. And dry hops. Cascade and centennial make a great combo in IPA, IMO.

Back