Time to bottle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
I have leaned on the experts here every step of the way. My beer sat in primary 15 days with same gravity last few days when I checked. I moved to secondary so I could make another batch. It has been in secondary a week now total of 22 days since brew. Can I. Should I bottle this weekend or is it best to wait any longer? The week in the secondary has saw even more debris settle to the bottom. All help is appreciated.

You're good to bottle my friend!
It wouldn't hurt to wait, but it is good to go.
If you want it to condition longer you could allow it to do so in the bottles if it is a higher alcohol batch. Otherwise two to three weeks in bottle should suffice.
Just make sure you bottle with the proper amount of fermentables for CO2 production.

Move fermenter to wherever you will be bottling and leave it there over night. Then siphon to bottling bucket in the morning with your priming sugar and have at it

Did you test it a couple days apart for a stable FG? always do that. Not to mention,giving it 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. You'll get cleaner beer going into the bottles.

here's a question for the pros in here.

he lives in Buffalo, NY. and it's COLD there (with real big piles of snow).

could he stick his fermenter outside for a few hours, assuming it's a bucket, and would that clear the beer a bit, kinda like cold crashing?

Hmmm,yeah,they are rather easy to break,aren't they? Cold garage maybe? And put'em in some kind of sturdy carrier.

Hmmm,yeah,they are rather easy to break,aren't they? Cold garage maybe? And put'em in some kind of sturdy carrier.

i suspect the smarter thing is to pay attention to the wind chill and don't put them out there when it's below zero, and wrap them in a blanket.

I have areas in my yard with over 2 feet of snow so that is an option. My only problem is my carboy is wrapped in a Bills hoodie so my beer will probably suck anyways.

Yeah,I mentioned earlier to cover it so it doesn't skunk. But that would double as a bit of wind chill insulation too.

I have areas in my yard with over 2 feet of snow so that is an option. My only problem is my carboy is wrapped in a Bills hoodie so my beer will probably suck anyways.

if you are using a carboy, and not a plastic bucket, don't do it.

the glass will break and you will lose your beer.

and, as a Cubs fan, I'm not going to comment on the Bills.

Geez. We got some 8-10 inches a couple days ago with more coming down now. I rather think the glass is iffy in the snow,but not 100% sure.

Yea we got 14 inches last week on top of 2 we already had on the ground. 4 more this morning and when I snow blow the piles are 3-4 feet high. Should I bottle today or wait a few days? If I bottle today would it be INSANE to bring 2-3 very very green beers to the tailgate tomorrow. Since all my hydrometer samples were delicious would 16-hour old bottles of beer be the same thing with no carbonation?

Also its 22 out. Could I cold crash in the garage for a day or two or is that too cold and will break the glass?

Thanks,

my own opinion... i always wait a couple extra days before i bottle and give the beer time to clear.

my other opinion... is i NEVER take green beer out, especially with other folks... all it does is reduce the amount of beer you have to drink when it's ready... also, if it tastes bad (or perhaps "green") you will spend the next 2 weeks worrying about it.

just leave it be

Latest posts

Back