Can I keep using the same SCOBY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scobyfiend

Reaction score
Hi there,

Been brewing Kombucha for a couple months now (continuous brew method) and have my entire family hooked on it -- great stuff!

My question for all you kombucha experts is this:Can I keep using the same SCOBY over and over? Mine is now about 3 in. thick with multiple layers. I was just reading that GT's Kombucha only uses a SCOBY about 10 times before discarding it as compost. My kombucha brew tastes great and there is no evidence of mold at all.

Oh and on another note . . . I have been trying to duplicate the 'Mystic Mango' flavor of GT's brand Kombuca and have not had any success in getting that great nectar flavor or texture. I have tried fresh mango puree and bottled mango juice -- any thoughts?

Thanks all,
SCOBYfiend

It is a light brown color on top -- is that bad? I thought that was just a result of using black tea. I didn't know that brown was bad?!? Please tell me my scoby baby is ok!:confused:
Thanks,
SCOBYfiend

Even with continuous brewing, don't you have a distinct mother/baby separation? When you have a thick-enough baby (maybe 1/4"), I'd pull out both of them and just leave the baby in there. Put the mother in a "hotel" - a separate jar where you also add a cup or so of starter each time you pull out a mother. Do that every week to 10 days so that you're always using a nice fresh baby.

With the hotel as backup, if you ever do get contamination you have a separate supply of mothers waiting & you also have some to give away to friends.

I don't use the continuous brewing method myself so apologies if it doesn't work the way I describe.

Latest posts

Back