2-Row in Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNow

Reaction score
Hi HBT,

Anyone tried using 100% American 2-row instead of continental Pilsner for a saison grist? I'm thinking it would lose a slight 'graininess' but otherwise would be fine.

Hi HBT,

Anyone tried using 100% American 2-row instead of continental Pilsner for a saison grist? I'm thinking it would lose a slight 'graininess' but otherwise would be fine.

I just made a Kolsch with Rahr 2-row (1.8L) and it came out very, very good (I think it was Rahr... might have been Briess). I happen to get a VERY good price on Weyermann pilsner, but if I didn't I'd just use that 2-row for everything.

I used 2 row in a saison last summer, I thought it turned out quite well. I might suggest adding a touch of biscuit to the grist to add some more malt character (supposing you dont already plan to add something of that sort).

I actually made a 2-row/Saaz Saison SMaSH that I expected to be "interesting" (but wanted to brew without going back to the LHBS) and it ended up being really good. It was dry (as you'd expect) but worked well and was great on a hot summer day.

I'm about to use American 2row to make something close to Boulevard's Tank 7. I think they use pale malt, which is a little odd to me. I think it will good, but I'm not going for your average Belgian Saison.

If want that malty character, frank's biscuit idea is prolly the way to go.

I've used 2-row as a base for a lot of my saison brewing. I usually add some wheat malt and Vienna to help add some depth to the grainbill though.

Back