Kraeusen and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_Cote

Reaction score
So do you have to wait til the kraeusen falls back into the beer before you bottle? Right now, it's been 10 days since brew day and the kraeusen is still hanging around but there's no activity in the air lock. I'm getting a bit anxious to put this puppy in bottles.

If you want to do it right, you're one-half to one-third of your way to bottling day. Give it time, my friend.

Uh..if there's a krausen then that means the beer is still fermenting....and unless you want bottle bombs, then leave it the heck alone...

Your airlock bubbling means absolutely nothing whatsoever, except that your fermenter is not gonna explode and spew beer all over the place...It is a vent for excess co2, not some sort of fermentation gauge...

Read this...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1217925-post3.html

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.....

I know you are anxious to " put this puppy in bottles" but you are not making koolaid, and you are not in charge, the yeast is, and they have their own timeframe, and agendas...this is a patience game....

Many of us leave our beers alone for a month in primary THEN bottle...because we now that it makes for great beer...It leaves plenty of time for the yeast to clean up the mess they make during fermentation, cleaning u any potential for off flavors.

Even John Palmer in How to brew says the same thing.

How To Brew;

Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Your beer is not done yet...so instead of rushing it, go get another bucket and start another batch, and start building your pipeline, and let this batch do it's thing.

this was something I wrote a few months ago, it sums up my pipeline at the time.

I leave 99% of my beers in primary for a month...then I bottle...and right now I can't get 70 degrees in my loft to save my life...so I don't expect ANY of my beers to be carbed on time....so in the interim, I buy mix sixers of various beers to try as research for the next beers I plan on brewing and to build up my bottle stock.

For Example, I brewed my Pumpkin Ale for Thanksgiving on Labor Day...figuring at 8 weeks, I MIGHT have some ready for Holloween...But they were still green, so I only brought a couple to my annuual Halloween thingy, along with a sampler of commercial pumpkins...BUT come Turkey Day the beer was fantastic, and was a hit at the holiday.

Right now this is my current inventory...

Drinking....IPA, various bottles of Oaked Smoked Brown Ale, Smoked brown ale, Poor Richard's Ale, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (but as a Lager,)
Avoiding....Marris Otter/Argentinian Cascade SMaSH (It sucks)
Bottle Conditioning..... Chocolate Mole Porter, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Peach Mead
In Primary.....Schwartzbier, Vienna Lager
Bulk Aging....Mead
Lagering....Dead Guy Clone Lager

Pretty much anything still in Primary or Lagering I will not be drinking til the end of March, but more than likely April....The Mole Porter needs a minimum several more weeks as well....but the Belgian Strong is prolly going to need 3-6 months to be ready...

The Swartzbier has 3 weeks more in primary, then another month lagering, THEN 3 weeks at least in the bottles...

Some weeks I take a break from my own beers to drink a couple sixers of samplers, so I don't drink ALL my current and other ready beers before the others comes online....Plus I'm craving a couple of styles that I don't have ready (like Vienna Lager) so I will make a bottle run....I also get to try new styles to come up with new ones to brew down the line.

And I'm also probably going to brew something this weekend...don't know what yet...maybe a low abv mild that I would only leave in primary till fermentation is stopped then bottled..so hopefully in a month they will drinkable.....

But do you see...you too one day will have a pipleine....and the wait will be nothing...you will have things at various stages...

This quote from one of my friends sums it up....

The nice thing is to get to a point in your pipeline where you are glancing through your BeerSmith brew log and realize that you have a beer that you have not even tried yet and it has been in bottle over 6 weeks. This happened to me this weekend. The beer was farging delicious.

Just to reinforce the other posts... leave it! 3-4 weeks is a normal primary time for me, then into bottles.

While the vigorous part of your fermentation is likely over, the yeast is still working. The krausen should drop within a week or so, and the beer will start to clear, give 'er time!

I've got a wheat beer in primary, and it's been there for 5 days and I've still got a massive krausen, beer looks like mud... be patient and you'll be rewarded... I promise.

In the mean time, get another bucket/carboy and make another batch :D

Back