Messy Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
I've just acquired a turkey fryer. (YAY!) my problem with it is the fryer itself was brand new, had to be assembled, but the pot had been used to boil Maple syrup and is full of charred nastiness. Ive tried taking "easy-off" overn cleaner and steel wool to it, but haven't put in the HOURS that are going to be needed for it. It still turns water brown when I boil anything in it. Is there a solution for getting it clean? or just chuck it and get a shiny new one? (SWMBO doesn't agree with that solution, no matter what I tell her about quality).

It's an aluminum pot, about 6.5 gallons.

Ditto on the oxy clean. Just don't soak it for a long ass period of time. I soaked my aluminum turkey fryer pot in oxy clean for a few days, and It destroyed my pot. It just ate away at the metal.

You could also try boiling up a bunch of cheap ass lemon juice from the supermarket (you can probably dilute it to get more milage out of it). I cleaned dried gas out of a motorcycle carbuerator like that, and it's "natural". Oh, and boiling lemon juice doesn't smell so good, so keep it away from any open windows.

A brief soak in vinegar might work...I know it takes beerstone off. Pour just enough to cover the surface (like 1/16"), let sit for 10 minutes, then wipe off.

Overnight soak with 5 Star PBW followed by a good scrubbing with a scotch pad and Liquid Bar Keepers Friend will take care of it. That's what I used on my turkey fryer kettle and it worked great!

PBW and BKF are Stainless Steel's best friends. :)

ARV9673 said:
I've just acquired a turkey fryer. (YAY!) my problem with it is the fryer itself was brand new, had to be assembled, but the pot had been used to boil Maple syrup and is full of charred nastiness. Ive tried taking "easy-off" overn cleaner and steel wool to it, but haven't put in the HOURS that are going to be needed for it. It still turns water brown when I boil anything in it. Is there a solution for getting it clean? or just chuck it and get a shiny new one? (SWMBO doesn't agree with that solution, no matter what I tell her about quality).

It's an aluminum pot, about 6.5 gallons.

If it turns water brown, then it's probably just the scorched sugars from the maple syrup. Just boil water in for a couple of hours. That won't hurt the pot in any way, and should take most of the gunk off. The only thing you're out is the propane for the boil (big deal) and a couple hours.

After that, try a soak in Oxyclean, a little scrubbing and you should be good.

Latest posts

Back