E-keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokems

Reaction score
I'm converting from propane to electric, Sooo.......I finished all my drilling and used Kal's way of putting the element in. I just have one problem. I can't get the nut to screw on the end of the element.

Seriously need some help here. Don't want to Wreck my keggle. Any ideas?

Is it not threading properly, or you can't get a wrench on it? What about a heater element wrench? Not sure if it would fit, but you could take the nut to the home depot and see before you buy the wrench. Where in Boston are you? I'm out in Wakefield. I have an e-brewery that uses heaststicks- moving to e-keggle, etc soon.

I have it through the junction box and the keggle wall. It won't thread due to it not being long enough. I'm in roslindale.

Just a suggestion because I did this myself but the element ships with a black rubber gasket at the base of the element that needs to be removed. I didn't even notice it when I went to put my elements in and ran into the same problem. It was a Homer Simpson "doh" moment when I realized there was a rubber gasket on there that was causing my issues.

Matt

Yeah, I took off the gasket. I think I need to make the hole in the j-box bigger so I can get another 1/8 of an inch. I dunno.

Aren't Keggle walls thicker than the blichmann kettles that Kal uses? That may be part of the problem? If I were you I would have a 1" half coupler welded on to the side of the keggle instead. That's how I did mine and I'm glad I don't have to worry about leaky gaskets or problems such as above. Its pretty cheap to get done.

I was able to get my elements installed in my keggels. Which elements are you using?

Camco 5500 watt element. I realized I made the hole in the jbox and face plate the same size. So I made the hole on the jbox bigger. We'll see if that works.

Aren't Keggle walls thicker than the blichmann kettles that Kal uses? That may be part of the problem? If I were you I would have a 1" half coupler welded on to the side of the keggle instead. That's how I did mine and I'm glad I don't have to worry about leaky gaskets or problems such as above. Its pretty cheap to get done.

+1. This is what I've done to my two kegs in anticipation of a future system. I hate weldless options.

Strike 2. This thing is killing me! I fixed the jbox but I'm still can't get that damn locknut to screw on. Im at a loss here.

I don't know why you can't fit yours. I had plenty of space, I bet I could have used the rubber washer which came with the element.

I do remember seeing someone post with the same problem as yours. I think he ended up using a dremel tool to make it fit. I was worried I'd run in to the same problem when I was putting my pots together, but it all fit fine.

I'm gonna see about getting the locknut welded to the keg. I will not be defeated!

Check out the soldering stainless thread in the DIY section. For the price of having it welded, you could solder yourself and have supplies to do the BK in future.

did you use the same shim washer that Kal used?
I'm using the same design, same element, and a keggle.. no issues.

so when you fixed the hole in the jbox, I'm hoping you made it large enough that the element doesn't even touch the jbox. The back of the element sits flush against the jbox cover, right?

Correct. Maybe I'm not pushing the element completely in the hole. It's hard to hold it in place and screw the nut on. The nut presses against the keg and it just won't touch the threads of the element.

Can you mount the element in the keg without the box?

What is the thread length of the heating element? I wonder if you have a different one.

Where did you drill your hole? I drilled mine right above the bottom keg weld. I can take pictures when I get home.

I'll mess with more when I get home from work. After reading from Kal's site, I think I didn't file down the feet on the back of the jbox. Which probably is taking a 1/8th or so of an inch from me. I'll have to reinvestigate it later. Thanks for all the help from my brotha's and sista's in beer.

You might have to actually thread the element into the j-box to get it to go all the way through that hole. Otherwise, it might help to file it down some.
Pictures of what you're dealing with would help us help you more;)

A little more maneuvering and bada bing! It fits! Thank you gents for all you help. Now to wet test it.

Glad you solved this issue. I had the same problem. I would up jbwelding the base of the element to the back of the box, giving it a bit more length going into the keg.

Wet tested, brewer approved!

image-2275055888.jpg

image-3205829273.jpg

image-518550984.jpg

image-622224510.jpg

Back