Gott cooler manifold construction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Looking for an easy way to build a copper or PVC tube manifold for 5gal gott cooler mash tun-any pictures sure would help

Any way I can use the existing spigot?

Looking for an easy way to build a copper or PVC tube manifold for 5gal gott cooler mash tun-any pictures sure would help

You don't want to use the existing spigot. It won't stand up to the heat. It unscrews really easily, though, and you just stick a rubber stopper in the hole and run a pipe out through the hole in the stopper.

There are some pictures of my manifold somewhere. I'll post em again here. Basically, just make yourself a loop of any heat resistant food grade tubing and poke a bunch of little holes in the bottom of it. Plumb that into your outlet of your cooler and you're all set. I used a Gott cooler for my first mash tun until it delaminated the lining from all the heat ;)

tun1.jpg

tun2.jpg

tun3.jpg

I'm going to try my first all-grain tomorrow. I stopped by my local HBS and told him what I was thinking of building (Gott cooler, stainless steel supply hose, spigot). He told me that was way too much work and sold me this http://store.brewhut.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=139 for $18 and a 5 gallon cooler for $25. Then he assembled the whole thing for me! The false bottom fits the cooler perfectly. Here's the best part - after he made my mash tun for me and assembled my ingredients for an all-grain steam beer, he "bought" me a pint of his homebrew that he's always got on tap at his shop. All being said, out the door including my next batch - $85. Is everyone's HBS owner this good or am I just lucky? www.renohomebrewer.com

So basically the manifold is gonna be you strainer right? If thats the case how could I make my self a sparging manifold. That seems to be my only problem is sparging my mash tun. I have seen some pics of a T type. Does anybody have one and give me a little info. Thanks again.
P.S. Everything I have learned has been through this forum. I am very grateful Thank you especially Janx.

No problem.

Those Phil's Sparge arms that spin like a little sprinkler are probably the T things you have seen. I really like them. They work great. For $15, it's an easy solution.

Cheers! :D

You just hook a water line to them...I think it's a barbed fitting, and let the sparge water gravity feed into the sparge sprinkler. The flowing water causes it to spin, and voila. It's a really simple contraption that does a great job.

now im pretty low on funds, do you think i can build one. my only problem would be the swinging motion of the arm. is this something that i could fabricate.

It's a pretty prescision little device. The tricky part would be drilling the holes in the sprinkler arm. They are angled and that's what causes it to spin. It's a very light, balanced arm.

If you go check one out at the HBS, you'll have a feeling for what's involved. I can't really imagine you could get the parts and build one for less than $15 (maybe they're cheaper than this), but who knows. You'd need some really delicate drill press or something to drill those holes in a tiny little pipe.

i got my cooler!!! a ten gallon igloo for 20 bucks at gander mountain... i was peicing copper fittings together at home depot to make a manifold... i can get by on the cheap, and i think construct a 'ghetto' wort chiller too ;)

getting excited now! especially since the temp has broken sixty F and i'll be moving the operation outdoors...

Janx said:

Sorry try to revive old thread but, I've seen the pizza pan false bottom before. How the heck did they get the drilled holes so uniform? what do ya think...did they use some type of drill press. I looked thru link but did not notice any specifics on how it was done.

Back