Spoon in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMarty911

Reaction score
So while I was vigorously stirring a 5 gallon batch of mead this evening my big white stir spoon broke in half with the "stick" portion getting stuck in the carboy. Is this an issue as it was sanitized prior to use?

Should be fine...

If it was sanitized prior there's nothing on it to cause anything bad. And being that its one of those plastic ones, I can't see it adding any flavors to it either.

RDWHAHB

As is traditional when such things happen you need to somehow incorporate the word "spoon" into the name of your mead. :rockin:

My friend recently ended up pushing his airlock gasket through into his mead and then dumped it out.

It was all sanitized and fine, but he didn't have an extra.He could have covered it with saran wrap or something and bought one the next day. I pretty much was like, what?

Roll with your mistakes or ask questions before doing anything drastic. If it gets infected somehow, then dump it. If your sanitation is good, you shouldn't have much to worry about. That was at least 6 pounds of orange blossom my friend dumped out.

a balloon with a pinhole makes a great airlock in a pinch! thats what im doing with my plastic jugs.

And if you don't have a ballon use a condom. Most guys have one of those kicking around. :0)

Just make sure it's not lubricated, right? ... might throw some off flavors.

However, this would be considered the only time it's acceptable to poke a pinhole in a condom, right?

Oddly enough, you are actually less likely to contaminate your brew with a condom. They are sanitized before they are sealed.

Back