filtering hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marosell

Reaction score
First all grain brew this evening! I went straight into the carboy from the kettle without filtering the hops (used cascade pellets). Now my carboy is green and there is tons of stuff floating around. Is this ok, or do I need to get this stuff out before I pitch the yeast?

RDWHAHB. You can't really get it out at this point and it won't matter much anyway. In the future, put your hops in a hop bag and you'll hold back much of the hop junk that flies around in there. Cool and pitch, then you're gold

-RS

I use a nylon net on my primary as I pour my wort through it. Catches everything...be sure to hold it in place with clothes pins as the weight of the hops and water will send it into the primary.

Use your stirrer to get the liquid to pour through.

marosell said:
First all grain brew this evening! I went straight into the carboy from the kettle without filtering the hops (used cascade pellets). Now my carboy is green and there is tons of stuff floating around. Is this ok, or do I need to get this stuff out before I pitch the yeast?

Use a false bottom and whole/leaf hops... I didn't filter any of my first beers of the hops... they turned out great.

leaving everything on top of the hops for a few weeks to ferment won't change the flavor?

marosell said:
leaving everything on top of the hops for a few weeks to ferment won't change the flavor?

Not in a bad way no... And since it's not like they're boiling in the fermenter it won't get more bitter, but it could give you great aroma. See: Dry Hopping

What's done is done. So now how do you keep that stuff out of your secondary?

Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

BierMuncher said:
What's done is done. So now how do you keep that stuff out of your secondary?

That's some nasty looking toilet paper.. C'mon now.... :cross:

Actually, I just use hop bags for the first time yesterday when I may my Experimental Blonde. I had three bags for my hop bill. They worked out wonderfully and when I poured my wort into my fermenter through my strainer, there was nothing to strain. I just picked up my 3 hop bags, untied the knots, turned them inside out and dumped the spent hops in the trash and rinsed the bags.

Good stuff watching them roll in the boil. I'll use them again.

EdWort said:
That's some nasty looking toilet paper.. C'mon now.... :cross:

Actually, I just use hop bags for the first time yesterday when I may my Experimental Blonde. I had three bags for my hop bill. They worked out wonderfully and when I poured my wort into my fermenter through my strainer, there was nothing to strain. I just picked up my 3 hop bags, untied the knots, turned them inside out and dumped the spent hops in the trash and rinsed the bags.

Good stuff watching them roll in the boil. I'll use them again.
I might do that next time. I just finished brewing my Maltese Falcon. 9 Oz's of hops is a lot to strain out using the ole colander/paper towel routine.

I'll prolly stick with the 1-gallon paint strainer bags and use the small zip ties.

I know most of you guys have seen this, but I thought I'd put this up there for any new guys that may be reading. This little contraption has worked great for me.

hop%20filter.jpg

I love this website! Sparky that think is a piece of work! Brilliant.

As far as Marosell's question, I agree with the folks here who say it won't be bad for your beer... But here's what I'd do with THIS batch, rather than try to filter all that crap out of there when you rack into the keg or bottling thingy- when your fermentation is done, lower the temp of the carboy and the flat beer to around 40-45 deg, either by ice bath or fridge or whatever. Gently agitate the fermenter often over that cooling time, and then let it sit for a couple more days. All those hop petals and seeds should settle out and then you can siphon as usual.

G'luck -p

I have a slightly related question. I found myself in a tight spot recently with some dead yeast (or atleast they were in a very deep hybernation, with a 3 day starter they hadn't been activated by pitch time). I had to run to the LHBS and I grabbed a pack of Munton's Premium Gold yeast. They seemed to ferment fine, but they ended up as gobs of yeast floating throughout the primary. When I racked, some of thes gobs got sucked through the siphon and into the secondary. Is that normal for yeast to gob up like that and float around? I think next time I'll put a nylon bag over the siphon like BierMuncher.

Yeast can do some strange things. I've had some of the gobs I think you're describing. Eventually they settle to the bottom.

On another thread someone named cubbies stated that leaving hops in the primary really helps with clearing the beer because it gives protiens something to cling to. That sounds right to me, but I haven't tried it before.

Back