Midwest Kit: European Pilsner v. Cologne Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stedtale

Reaction score
Hi-

I'm getting back into brewing. I have done a few wines and beers in my life. But, I really want to get back into it.

For my first batch, I can't decide between The Midwest kits for European Pilsner or Cologne Kolsch. Does anyone have a good comparison between the two, flavor, etc? I have a chilly basement (high 50's low 60s) that will be perfect for these two.

Also, which yeast is "the best" for these kits?

Thanks!

Well, the Euro Pilsner looks like a true lager with lager yeast. So you would need to ferment low and lager even lower. You look like you can hit the top end of the fermenting part, but what about lagering (~40 degrees or lower)?

With the Kolsch, I really think you need to avoid the Munton's dry they have. Their liquid choices look good, but there's also dry kolsch yeast out there. But not Munton's.

Thanks!

I need to do some water testing for temps, but I may be able to get 40, if I keep it close to the north wall of the basement, or in the "cellar"...hhmmmmmmmmm....I'm pretty sure the cellar (the closet that the old well pump used to be in) stays at just above freezing during the winter (35-40). I'll put some gallons of water around for a few days to test the temps and see if I can hit the right lager temps w/o the fridge.

Thanks for the yeast tips, I will avoid Munton's. I think I saw a dry Kolsch yeast at midwest, I'll have to look.

I'm going the extract Kolsch kit from northern.

After resaerch I found that my basement floor does a nice 55-60 and my cellar floor does 38-42. So, that sould be pretty good for primary and secondary.

Latest posts

Back