I can't make small beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
Stupid good efficiency. I had been having problems, so I designed my latest recipe (A Belgian Specialty) around 65%. I ended up at 77%, and after two weeks in the primary (because was pitching Brett in half of it), checked the O.G. at 1.012 from 1.065. I had aimed for an O.G. at around 1.054-55. I was expecting decent attenuation from the starter as well as the use of candi-sugar. But I wanted it to be at least <6%.

Same happened with my Pale back in October. That one attenuated more than I had imagined (to 1.010) and clocks in >6%.

My next recipe is going to aim for 1.040 at 75% eff. Blargh.

I have this problem too. This is why I take a gravity reading before the boil. If pre-boil gravity is too high there is no way you'll hit your target OG so ABV will be too high and the IBU/OG balance will be off. [thread=52867]The last time this happened to me[/thread] I used the Dilution tool in BeerSmith to figure out how much water to add to the boil. I ended up hitting my target OG right on. I bottled that batch this weekend so I'll know how it turned out in a few weeks.

My efficiency is generally good, but it varies with the weather. I just water a small beer down before pitching & put the extra in 1.5L bottles when I keg it. Since I design towards the middle of a style, the IBUs will still be on. The bottles can be handy for test dry hopping.

Don't forget to keep an eye on your hops additions too if you dilute. You'll have more beer, so you'll need to up the hops a little to compensate.

I had the same thing happen yesterday. I designed a mild to be 1.038 but then I looked and saw it was at 75% eff. I changed it to the 87% I normally design at and it changed to 1.044 well good bye mild hello bitter. I ended up with 1.048 into the fermenter so it would be a special bitter but I didn't have enough finishing hops to make it one to a big bitter it is.

Back