Seeking Brown Ale Recipe using Pale Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Help me with a recipe
I am looking to make a brown ale recipe using mostly pale liquid extract (3.2 kg) for a 23L batch. At the LHBS pale LME is 17$ for 3.2 kg. They don't have LME for amber or dark. They only have amber or dark in DME for 15$ a kg!

I was playing around on beer calculus with these settings:
Northern English Brown 23 L
Steeping - Chocolate malt 250mg
3.2 pale LME
1 kg dark DME
42 g Goldings at 60
14 g Goldings at 5
OG 1.050 FG 1.013 SRM 21 IBU 25.7 or 7 HBU 4.9 ABV

Opinions? I am open to other recipes that chiefly use pale LME
thanks
SHAL

Those grains and extract look like they'd be a good combo.

In my brown I use glacier hops and it is an amazing compliment to the malt flavors that come out. I especially use them for the flavor and aroma additions.

I love my brown and so does my friends and family. It's usually gone within a couple weeks once its ready for drinking.

That is my opinion and recommendation. :)

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

From brewing classic styles

7 lbs pale lme

steeping grains
special roast .75 lb
victory .5 lb
crystal 40 .5 lb
pale chocolate .25 lb

kent golding 5.0% aa 1.2 oz 60 min
kent goldings 5.0% aa .5 oz 5 min

I also like glacier a lot. I use it in honey beers.

Thanks for the recipe Glynn. I may go with that one. I am assuming it is a 19L (5Gal) batch. What yeast would you go with? My LHBS has a good selection of both dry and liquid yeasts.

wlp013, wyeast 1028 or nottingham
the spec's were
OG 1.051
FG 1.013
IBU 26
13 SRM
60 MIN BOIL
BATCH SIZE 5.5 GAL

Steep grains for 30 min @ 160 in 1 gal of water. bring vol up to 3.5 gals and add 1/2 of the extract and do your boil. add remaining extract at the end of boil, cool and bring fermenter vol up to 5.5 gal.

If you don't have the book Brewing classic style i suggest getting it, it has a lot of nice recipes. I've been brewing since 93 and i plan on making brews from this book just for the fun of it

IMO As far as yeast for a brown, I've used both wyeast 1098 and 1335. They are both awesome with browns because they bring out the malty character that browns have. But if you are sticking with recipes and not really straying from them, the 1028 is a good too.

Thanks for the info fellas. Thanks for the full recipe Glynn. I have Nottingham on hand but I may splurge for the Wyeast.
I have been considered what brewbook to get next. Brewing Classic Styles has been on my list.

Okay I bought the ingredients today.
I had to do a little steeping grain substitution:
special roast = roasted barley?
victory malt = biscuit?
pale chocolate = chocolate malt?
Anyways, that's what I got. I bought Wyeast British Ale yeast
I won't be using the roasted barley. I typed in the ingredients into Beer Calculus and found that it would make the SRM much much too high. With the Biscuit, chocolate malt and Crystal, the SRM is 19

Special Roast is NOT Roasted Barley. When in doubt, look up the two names and look at the color. SR is 50, Roasted barley is 500. Roasted barley is for stouts. Special roast is more biscuit-like, or so I've read.

This beer tastes a lot like Newcastle which makes sense because the recipe is titled "Nutcastle". Mild and balanced. After three glasses I found it a touch on the sweet side.

Back