Sierra Navada bottles,,,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNOYES88

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a hard time getting good seals with caps on reused Sierra Nevada bottles? I bottled a honey ale 2 weeks ago and it has been more than warm enough to get the yeast to eat the 5 oz of cornsugar i bottled with. I know the rule of 3 weeks but ive had plenty of carb prior to 3 weeks with carb tabs in swing top bottles. This is the first time i used the priming corn sugar to carb. Any info or experiences are welcomed and appreciated.

Try to spin the cap on top of the bottle. If it moves, you have a bad seal. If not ,it's a-ok. Did you batch prime, or bottle prime? If you batch prime in your bottling bucket and forget to gently stir after you add the sugar (like I have done) you could get uneven carbonation between bottles.

ya. i totally didnt stir. poured it in after the bottling bucket was about a quarter full n continued to rack on top of it. i figured it stirred it up enough but maybe not. im gonna give it atleast another week n see how it is then.

if you bottle prime, how much priming sugar do you use per 12 oz, 22 oz, and 32 oz bottles? I had good luck with the coopers carb tabs before, maybe ill just keep using them from now on.

Back