Sestos Temp Controller Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Architeuthis

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to HBT. I've just completed a project: a PID temperature controller using a Sestos PID controller, a GFCI receptacle and a 25A SSR. I did not put a switch in the box, nor is the GFCI connected to ground. Does this matter? I've tried it and it holds temperature pretty well. I haven't been able to auto-adjust it yet, I've tried setting it to ON/OFF, then turning it back to PID and then pressing the auto-adjust button but no flashing auto-adjust happens. There is actually a setting in the functions that says 'auto-adjustment' but when I turn it to that setting nothing happens. It doesn't help that the instructions seem to be a literal translation from chinese. Also, when it runs it seems to run one degree hotter than the set value I have it, I've checked the thermocouple against another I have and they both read the same value. If anyone has any experience with these I'd sure appreciate some help as this is my first DIY project

TempController.jpg

Hi

1) Yes you do need to properly hook the GFCI to ground. If you don't it's not going to do anything useful.

2) A PID is great for some things and a disaster for other stuff. What are you controlling with this? There are very few small scale brewing applications that a PID helps with.

3) It sounds like your controller is in the on/off mode with a one degree difference between the "turn on" and "turn off" values. I suspect you will need better instructions on how to set it up.

4) Auto adjust is normally a process where the controller runs for a while and then "decides" what it's going to do. You may need to let it run overnight.

Bob

Back