First Batch This Weekend and Have Some Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefehawk

Reaction score
I'm going to brew my first beer this weekend, which is a Bavarian style hefeweizen.

Here are my questions:

1) I will be transferring my wort to a better bottle and don't have a funnel or strainer, do I just use my autosiphon? Will that give me enough aeration? In not, how can I add aeration and can I just shake the wort up inside the better bottle?

2) When transferring my wort, do I need to strain out the used hops and other undesirables? or will the autosiphon do that for me? Also, do I need to put the autosiphon in the middle, top or bottom of the wort when siphoning from the kettle?

3) I'm going to use a blowoff tube for the first week of fermenting. Do I need to clean and sanitize my tubing after siphoning the wort into the fermenter for my blowoff tube? My tubing will be cleaned and sanitized prior to transferring the wort from the kettle.

Thanks in advance and love this forum.

hefehawk said:
I'm going to brew my first beer this weekend, which is a Bavarian style hefeweizen.

Here are my questions:

1) I will be transferring my wort to a better bottle and don't have a funnel or strainer, do I just use my autosiphon? Will that give me enough aeration? In not, how can I add aeration and can I just shake the wort up inside the better bottle?

2) When transferring my wort, do I need to strain out the used hops and other undesirables? or will the autosiphon do that for me? Also, do I need to put the autosiphon in the middle, top or bottom of the wort when siphoning from the kettle?

3) I'm going to use a blowoff tube for the first week of fermenting. Do I need to clean and sanitize my tubing after siphoning the wort into the fermenter for my blowoff tube? My tubing will be cleaned and sanitized prior to transferring the wort from the kettle.

Thanks in advance and love this forum.

I would recommend buying a funnel with strainer built in to it, I think wal-mart has them for $3.00. Then you can use a auto siphon or just pour your wort in to the funnel atop of your better bottle....if for whatever reason you don't buy a funnel with a built in strainer, then prop one end of your kettle up about an inch higher than the other side and place the bottom of your auto siphon in the highest corner...this will prevent most of the debris from transferring....as for sanitizing, do it for everything any time it comes in contact with cooled wort, it's a chance you shouldn't take! Happy brewing!

i'm going to brew my first beer this weekend, which is a bavarian style hefeweizen.

Here are my questions:

1) i will be transferring my wort to a better bottle and don't have a funnel or strainer, do i just use my autosiphon? Will that give me enough aeration? In not, how can i add aeration and can i just shake the wort up inside the better bottle?

If you siphon, let it splash into the bb, then shake it up real good.

2) when transferring my wort, do i need to strain out the used hops and other undesirables? Or will the autosiphon do that for me? Also, do i need to put the autosiphon in the middle, top or bottom of the wort when siphoning from the kettle?

Whirlpool it by stirring the kettle, that will bring most of the crud to the center, then siphon from the edge.

3) i'm going to use a blowoff tube for the first week of fermenting. Do i need to clean and sanitize my tubing after siphoning the wort into the fermenter for my blowoff tube? My tubing will be cleaned and sanitized prior to transferring the wort from the kettle.

Everything should be cleaned and sanitized before coming into contact with your beer/wort after the boil. I sanitize the fermenter and blow off tube while it is boiling so it is ready to go

thanks in advance and love this forum.

A funnel and strainer will be a good idea to help filter some debris out of your beer. I use a carboy now and currently just autosiphon from the kettle to the carboy. This will get you some aeration, but I also shake the carboy vigorously for a minute or so just to make sure.

As the previous poster said, when siphoning just try to keep it a little away from the trub as much as possible.

When your wort is cooling stir it up as fast as you can like a whirlpool. Then when it is done spinning all the trub and hops will be in conical pile in the center of your pot. Autosiphon from the edge and you will leave all that gunk behind.

Back