Simple IPA suggestions with Columbus, Cascade and Centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
I'm trying to work out a hopping schedule for my next brew. I'm new to Columbus hops, but from what I gather it's good for early bittering (high AA%) and can also be useful late in the boil, but in moderation. I don't think that hop additions should feel like rocket science, but for some reason it does. Maybe there's someone out there who has worked on a similar brew and could pass along their experiences. Any suggestions are appreciated

Here's what I'm currently working with.

Columbus, Cascade, Centennial IPA
3.5Gal boil, topped off to 5.5Gal

OG 1.063
FG 1.016
58 IBU

9# Muntons Extra Light DME
1# Crystal 40L

60min - 0.5oz - Columbus - 15.4AA
10min - 1oz - Cascade - 5AA
10min - 0.5oz - Centennial - 9.7AA
5min - 1oz - Cascade
5min - 0.5oz - Columbus
5min - 0.5oz - Centennial
0min - 1oz Columbus (10 min steep)
0min - 2oz Cascade (10 min steep)

How large is your kettle? I would recommend that you do a full volume boil instead of topping off. I would take 3-4 gallons of excellent beer over 5-6 gallons of mediocre beer anyday of the week.

Your hop schedule looks fairly decent for say a 4.2 gallon boil / 3.4 gallon batch of tasty IPA. I would also add another small charge around 25 minutes. And do 15/8 hop additions instead of 10/5. Reason being is that you have that whirlpool steep, which is right next to 5 minutes. I would extend that steep to 30 minutes and add a 2.5 oz. dryhop. You only need 1.5 to 2.0 oz for the whirlpool steep. And Columbus is great anywhere in any amount (within reason)... don't fret.

Malt bill looks good. You could replace 1# of DME with sugar for added dryness. Adding half of your extract at the boil start, and half at the 15 minute mark will help with this recipe in more ways than one. What yeast are you using?

Nothing wrong with that from a hops standpoint - Columbus is a great hop to use for dry hopping as well (as are Cascade & Centennial). I'd say try it and adjust for the next time based on what you taste (more/less bitter, enough aroma?), Columbus offers a nice 'dank' aroma that I really like.

Great suggestions! Thanks for your insight. I have a 7/8 gallon kettle and boil on my gas range in the kitchen. Do you think that I could do a full boil on there? I just assumed that I wouldn't be able to get 6 gallons rolling with my current setup. Hey, maybe I'll have to go buy me a big ol floor burner soon! :ban:

I was planning on using Wyeast 1272; my thinking here is that it will give me a much brighter beer with less suspended yeast. I used 1056 with my last batch, and while it produced some tasty brew, I wasn't terribly impressed with the low flocc. qualities. Any tips with 1272? Much experience with it? I've read some good things about it on these boards.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere before but you can refer to usahops.org for a description and suggestion where to use which hops. Columbus is definitely a good bitter hop (super alpha).

Thanks for the tip, HB. Btw, I just returned from a trip to Bend! Real lovely country you have out there, and some mighty fine brews too. Loved CRUX and BONEYARD too! Can't wait to visit again

Great suggestions! Thanks for your insight. I have a 7/8 gallon kettle and boil on my gas range in the kitchen. Do you think that I could do a full boil on there? I just assumed that I wouldn't be able to get 6 gallons rolling with my current setup. Hey, maybe I'll have to go buy me a big ol floor burner soon! :ban:

I was planning on using Wyeast 1272; my thinking here is that it will give me a much brighter beer with less suspended yeast. I used 1056 with my last batch, and while it produced some tasty brew, I wasn't terribly impressed with the low flocc. qualities. Any tips with 1272? Much experience with it? I've read some good things about it on these boards.

Definitely. I'm not sure why you're even topping off with that kettle size.

I have a 7/8 gallon kettle and boil on my gas range in the kitchen. Do you think that I could do a full boil on there? I just assumed that I wouldn't be able to get 6 gallons rolling with my current setup.

Definitely. I'm not sure why you're even topping off with that kettle size. If you can't get 6 rolling for some reason, then do 5. Either way you'll have a better beer with a full volume boil.

1272 may be more flocculant, but it's quite fruity in character compared to 1056. That may or may not be something you want. For IPAs, I prefer fermenting in the 63-67 F range with either yeast.

I'd move the 10 & 5 minute additions to 20 & 10 myself. better flavors that way. Move the zero additions to dry hop,but add an equal amount of the cenntenial to that.
I used Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade for flavor additions of 1.5oz each in 3 additions starting at 25 minutes. The remaining .5oz of each in a 1 week dry hop. It was a 6 gallon batch & tasted at least as good as any average craft IPA.

Back