Single handle cornys...better or worse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I have found several places selling single handled cornys for less than the regular style. Are there any disadvantages to the single handles ones?

Beer goes in, beer goes out, who cares about the handle, right? or very wrong?

I like them. They are a bit hard to turn upside down for soaking. I have 1 five gallon and 2 three gallon cornies with 1 metal handle.

From what I've read, the metal is usually a little thinner on the 1 handled. I figure so long as there aren't any enormous dents, it doesn't matter. They're going to live in a fridge or the closet. I ordered 4 from Chi company because they're so much less expensive than the 2 handled ones.

I vastly prefer them, and they are the only kind I'll buy in the future. Both my kegerator and my brew-fridge are on the small side, and it is SO MUCH easier connecting/removing gas and beer lines without that huge black top blocking me from both sides.

Plus, the rubber topped kegs leave nasty black marks on everything they touch. Not so with the single metal or plastic handles.

I've got a handful of the double-handled kegs, and I'll happily trade them to locals for singles.

See, that's what I love about this place. In the time it took me to pitch the yeast into my starter, and pop on the airlock, three replies. This site rocks.

It sounds like there actually may be a few benefits with the single handles ones, and they are cheaper.

Win.Win :)

I have a Sanyo BC-1206 kegerator and the only way that I can have three kegs and a 10lb CO2 tank is to have the two kegs in the back be of the single handle design. There is a compressor bump out in the back, on the top, that will not allow a double handle cornie to fit. The only way to use a double handle keg would be to cut off one handle with a sawzall, which I've seen done.

I found a place a long time ago that was selling the single handled, ball lock kegs so I scooped about about a dozen of them.

DSC02172-1.jpg

See, that's what I love about this place. In the time it took me to pitch the yeast into my starter, and pop on the airlock, three replies. This site rocks.

There ya go. A place where brewers hang out and offer quick advice, happily dispensing brewing, kegging, & bottling knowledge. :tank:

Back