Lemon Zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltnHops

Reaction score
I was cooking tonight and needed lemon zest for the recipe. I was drinking an IPA while chopping stuff up. I decided to add a little zest to the IPA and it was freaking GREAT! Anybody ever used lemon zest before? When should it be added? Any insight?

Added the zest of 2 lemons (pampered chef zester) to a blonde ale we made. Put it in with 5 min left in the boil. You could definately taste the lemon in the beer, added a nice fresh bitterness to it. Never considered it in a IPA though.

I made a beer with a ton of zest recently.

Citrus zest: 3 minneola oranges, 3 blood oranges, 2 limes, 2 honey tangerines, 3 lemons, 3 navel oranges, 1 white grapefruit

It's inspired by Ithaca 13, hops are Sorachi Ace and Citra with a little touch of Palisade. I suppose I'd call it a hoppy wheat.

Came out awesome, it's going fast.

I used it in a summer ale. zest of two oranges and 2 lemons. Added with 5 min to go in the boil. Just make sure you wash them really thoroughly before zesting. Unless you grow your own, god knows what types of off flavors you could get from pesticides.

I used it in a summer ale. zest of two oranges and 2 lemons. Added with 5 min to go in the boil. Just make sure you wash them really thoroughly before zesting. Unless you grow your own, god knows what types of off flavors you could get from pesticides.

Did you leave them in for the primary?? Or strain them out?

Back