mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxyzptlk

Reaction score
I'd like to start the new year out right by brewing my first batch of mead.
I've got a 13+ gallon glass carboy and my thoughts were to use it as a secondary for a 10-gallon batch of mead using the no-boil techniques. I am figuring on using about 30 pounds of honey, and make this a traditional sweet or semi-sweet still mead. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts they could share with me on this, as this is my first go at it?

Thanks

Since you obviously like Ginger so much (I was into MaryAnn myself), why don't you try the Barkshack Ginger Mead in Papazian's book?

I highly recommend it (sparkling). :D

I would recommend you letting it sit for at least 6 months before trying your first bottle. As you know the ginger is somewhat bitter, but after a year you will have one hellava brew.

I think I have one bottle left from over 10 years ago. I have no idea why I am saving it.

I also have a bottle of Wild Black Raspberry mead (sparkling) that tasted like I was drinking a cobbler.

I have a peach mead in a secondary right now. It should be ready to bottle soon. I have to check the recipe first.

I was originally planning a variation of this concoction for my first mead, but I was thinking I would wait until later next year when fresh fruit is available at our local farmer's market and brewing one of the fruit variations of it.

Latest posts

Back