Keezer hinge help..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripkings

Reaction score
I am a terible wood worker but decided to try a super simple keezer build.

Sure enough I hit a snag right away.

I was hoping I'd be lucky and the hinges would line up where I could use the existing holes in the freezer or I'd wind up in the wood.

Of course I wound up right between and don't know if I can drill into the freezer here or if I should drill into the hinge making new holes to get me in the wood of the collar.

What do you suggest when this happens?

I really apreciate any advise because my build is stuck here until I figure it out.

IMAG2495 by waxteeth, on Flickr

i highly doubt cooling coils are running there, but the easiest thing would be to drill into the wood and then drill into the hinge and into the wood, creating 4 screw holes. You can buy heavier duty screws at home depot as well if you'd like. It will work out fine.

What about using the bottom holes as they are and putting in a little steel plate extender for the top? Then just attach the plate to the hinge and to the lid. I used these for my keezer (for another purpose) http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...y?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=nail+stop. I just cut off the ends and got a cheap steel plate.

ETA: you could also go with the doublehinged approach. Leave the hinge attached to the freezer and then attach it to the collar. Get some cheap door hinges and attach the lid to the collar. This is what I did and really like only having to lift the lid when checking on things but having the option to flip the entire collar up when moving kegs in and out...you'd be surprised how much of a difference that few inches makes when you're lifting a full keg!

Back