Anyone tried or have a recipe for a blueberry/apple hard cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TboneDano

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to brew up a batch or two of hard cider, and since I have a bunch of blueberries frozen, the thought occurred to me to maybe try a little experiment with some blueberries mixed in. I've always heard you should use proven recipes, so I thought I'd ask to see if someone had tried it. I guess if I wanted to be really scientific, I could figure out how much sugar is in blueberries, mash them up, and adjust the sugar content I'd add accordingly. But that takes too much thinking, and perhaps it doesn't work so easily in doing the math. Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Tbone

Be creative! Invent! :D

My Celestial Manderan Sage wine was supposed to be a simple sage wine. After I started, and my daughter had picked a quart of fresh sage leaves, I discovered we had no lemons or oranges. :eek: I needed 1ea per gallon. So, I brewed up some Celestial Seasonings "Orange Zinger" tea and used that for liquid and pitched the yeast. Then I found a can of manderan oranges, so I drained them & dumped 'em in. :p

It's still bubbling like crazy & boy does it smell good!

I say go for it.

I tried a bag of celestial seasonings in the the secondary on a 5 gall batch of cider. The ginger in it overpowered it beyond being a "note" it actually ruined the whole batch. Lesson learned.

Why not add the blueberries but then don't add any other additional dextrose or other sugars?

I made an apple blueberry cider using apple juice and blueberry juice (blueberry and apple in the ingredients) and it is tasty. The thing I have found with ciders is making sure to let them age long enough so that they taste good. My first English style cider I thought I would have to throw away after 1 months but was great at 2.

Latest posts

Back