convert multi-step to single infusion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

island_dj

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing - actually still reading and learning before taking the plunge - and I have a mash question. If a recipe specifies a multi-step mash, can the mash be done with a single infusion? If so, which temperature should be used? Thanks!

I'm new to brewing - actually still reading and learning before taking the plunge - and I have a mash question. If a recipe specifies a multi-step mash, can the mash be done with a single infusion? If so, which temperature should be used? Thanks!

What is the rest schedule? That is needed.

For example, here is a multi-step schedule from a belgian ale recipe:

Mash in with 12 qts. water @ 122 degrees F. and rest 30 min. Raise to 140 F and rest 10-15 min. Raise to 150 F and wait till starch is converted(90 min.) Mash out at 168 F and rest 10 min.

That first rest is a protein rest. Unless you are using a high percentage of unmodified grain (flaked or unmalted wheat, rye, oatmeal) it is not necessary.

The rest at 140 encourages high fermentability, Belgians are generally pretty dry which is why many recipes have sugar in them.

The rest at 150 is kind of middle of the road between fermentable and unfermentable sugars, although I think it still favors fermentables.

You could probably get away with a single infusion at 148-150 and use about .5 lbs of Carapils to help with the dextrins.

Yeah I would generally take the longest rest and go thereabouts or slightly lower. Depends on the rest schedule though. For instance, the one you have is a dry beer. I'd mash around 148-149 for 60 minutes. If the schedule was 140 for 10 minutes then 158 for an hour, I'd probably shoot for 156-157, again, based on the temps and time at each rest.

Latest posts

Back