Help For the Fool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a remedy for the idiot who over-rinsed the grain in a Pseudo-Sparge of a partial-mash oatmeal stout? The Tannins are a little overwhelming. Perhaps some honey boiled with a little h2o and added directly to the keg?

Any suggestions are apprecieated, thanks.

i believe tannins will settle out w/ time, but we are talking a long time

I had one beer that was awful tannin-y and the taste mellowed very much at the two month mark. I say brew again and wait it out!

It's actually really hard to extract a lot of tannins out of a PM with dark grains, like what you would use for a stout. Are you sure it isn't the flavour of the dark roasted grains you are tasting? They can be awfully bitter, especially when the beer is still pretty green. But it will mellow with time. Most stouts really benefit from at least a month of conditioning.

Gelatin finings can be used to reduce tannins. Tannins will fade with time,though. I'd leave it alone for 2-3 months.

Back