Gravity: Sucks or Pulls...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pYr8

Reaction score
Hi All-

Just a play on Newton for the title...
I'm a noob on my first batch. After 9 days in the primary my batch went from OG 1.045 to 1.009. Should I go to the carboy now or wait? It's cloudy & maybe it needs some time in a secondary to clear? It tastes semi-OK so far...

No need to go to the carboy. It seems it has finished its fermentation. What style of beer is this? I would bottle/keg it in about another week. After that, if you have fridge space, cold crash it for 2 days and it should clear up just fine.

Once it ages and carbonates, the taste will refine. I have never like my beer out of the carboy - fyi.

give it another week then check it out. Won't hurt a thing.

what style beer btw? Also what do you mean it taste semi ok?

The style was a kit from DeFalco's.
Cooper's Real Ale based. We used an Ale Pail & fermented at an average of 68°.
My ridgeback & I enjoyed the test :mug:
I'm all in for another week or more in the primary, I stopped checking hourly days ago so I'm starting to get used to the waiting.
I remember a buddy from years ago that brewed & I helped bottle from time to time. He had a "lost" carboy that must have sat for 9-12 months. We bottled from floor level that night, LOL......

Should I just sit on it & wait for another week or two? I'm all for a better tasting, more potent batch :mug:
I'm just brewing blind here but it's fun as hell:ban:

I leave my in the primary for 3 to 4 weeks. I then check gravity. Then bottle.

Thats just me, it seems to work well on all beers except the very high grav ones that I do secondary for several months.

I'm still in ambiguity on that matter.... The force felt is similar, although sucking does provide a better sensation than pulling. I'll have to research further....

Why you go to DeFalcos when Brew it Yourself is half the distance from where you are?

If you didn't have temperature control, I'd let it sit for another 2-3 weeks. If you controlled the temperature, you can probably bottle it now.

Why you go to DeFalcos when Brew it Yourself is half the distance from where you are?

I was in Houston shopping for other things anyway and I decided to start the brewing journey while I was down there...
Is that BIY in Spring?

Latest posts

Back