07.07.07 Final decision poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which option do you prefer for the 07.07.07 brew?

• Option 1

• Option 2

• Option 3

• Option 4

Results are only viewable after voting.

knipknup

Bloody John Roberts
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here are four options based on combinations of what was largely decided upon in the threads. I have compiled it and now lets vote and get 'er done! (I set the poll to close in 14 days to stop the madness!)

All are around 36 IBU, 7.1 SRM and 4.8% ABV - perfect lawnmower beer!!!

Option 1 (36 IBU 7.1 SRM 4.8% ABV)

07.07.07-1
Brew Type: All Grain
Style: American Pale
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 6.57 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.0 %

7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain
4.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain

0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops

0.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops

30 min into boil Add 0.25 oz Simcoe [12.00%] (30 min)
45 min into boil Add 0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00%] (15 min)
55 min into boil Add 0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (5 min)
Steep for 0 min Steep 0.25 oz Simcoe [12.00%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops

Option 2 (35.6 IBU 7.1 SRM 4.9% ABV)
(grain adjustments but same hop schedule as 1)

07.07.07-2
Style: American Pale Ale

12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain
12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain

0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops

0.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops

30 min into boil Add 0.25 oz Simcoe [12.00%] (30 min)
45 min into boil Add 0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00%] (15 min)
Steep for 0 min Steep 0.25 oz Simcoe [12.00%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops

Option 3 (32.3 IBU 7.1 SRM 4.8% ABV)
(grain bill from #1 with hop adjustments)

07.07.07-3

0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops

0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops

30 min into boil Add 0.25 oz Williamette [4.10%] (30 min)
45 min into boil Add 0.50 oz Williamette [4.10%] (15 min)
Steep for 0 min Steep 0.25 oz Williamette [4.10%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops

Option 4 (32 IBU 7.1 SRM 4.9% ABV)
(2nd grain bill, 2nd hop option)

07.07.07-4

12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain
12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain

0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops

0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops

30 min into boil Add 0.25 oz Williamette [4.10%] (30 min)
45 min into boil Add 0.50 oz Williamette [4.10%] (15 min)
Steep for 0 min Steep 0.25 oz Williamette [4.10%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops

Alright, rising up in the July 7th Rebellion against the hops, as painful as it is for me....

Here's another proposal:

Brewsmith's grain bill (slightly modified):
7.00 lb 2-row
0.50 lb wheat malt
0.75 lb Vienna
0.50 lb Honey malt
0.50 lb Crystal 10L
0.75 lb Munich
0.25 lb Biscuit

Hops:
Northern Brewer (around 7% AA%), enough for 28 IBUs, single 60-minute addition only.

Yeast:
You tell me, I don't know.

BU:GU ratio is 0.5, should be nice and malty but not cloying. Lots of malt character that won't get lost behind multiple hop additions. Maybe not a lawnmower beer, but should be real nice to drink around a fire at night on the beach.

You know what? I think, if it comes to it, we should just agree on that final grain bill that the_bird posted, and let people come up with their own hop additions. Maybe that's the simplest way to do it. I like the idea of a single 60 minute addition, but maybe others want to try a hop suey mix. We could all try hop variations and report back on the results. Hmmm??? :mug:

Torchiest said:
You know what? I think, if it comes to it, we should just agree on that final grain bill that the_bird posted, and let people come up with their own hop additions. Maybe that's the simplest way to do it. I like the idea of a single 60 minute addition, but maybe others want to try a hop suey mix. We could all try hop variations and report back on the results. Hmmm??? :mug:

We could, but then it wouldn't be the same brew. Isn't the point to generate mass quanitities of (pretty much) the same beer?

LOL, oh man, we keep going around and around on this. Where's a benevolent dictator when you need one? Get this democracy whipped into shape! :cross:

I'd like to not use the 001/1056 yeast. I say we use WPL051 CA V or some other more fruity strain, possibly even a CA Common???

Ok, not fruity :p, just not 001/1056. Hence my suggestion for the CA Common. Clean, but still some ale notes.

Option to Abandon (Sorry...I should be studying my Advanced Corporate Finance. This is making me want to drop some Black Scholes on this recipe).

Who decided to dry hop? This is going to be a honey-citrus-hops nightmare. Too many flavors, me thinks.

Cheesefood said:
Option to Abandon (Sorry...I should be studying my Advanced Corporate Finance. This is making me want to drop some Black Scholes on this recipe).

Who decided to dry hop? This is going to be a honey-citrus-hops nightmare. Too many flavors, me thinks.

That's what I think, too, ergo, "option 5" (thanks to Brewsmith and Torchiest).

EDIT: DAMN, I think like Brewsmith!

Option 6: Use Bird's recipe, but everyone use a different yeast. Then let's all swap a bottle with each other.

That's what I was recommending with the hops. We should make 07.07.07 about the seven grains, and let everyone else pick whatever else they want.

It could be the great 07.07.07 beer swap!

I voted for #1, before I read every body's posts. One thing I noticed- with the FWH and the 2 dry hops, that's 8 hops additions. I still like that grain bill, and 7 hops additions.

But, I'll defer to the experts, and do whatever the consensus is.

Brewsmith said:
But if everyone overdoes it with the hops, it will be the Great 07.07.07 Crap Swap.

LMAO! That is a very good point. This whole thing is becoming both more exhausting and more amusing as time goes by. If I had been around for 06.06.06, I probably would've already learned my lesson and not exacerbated the problem.

Personally, I cant vote for any of the 4. The previous grain bill looked like it was all set, but now its changing again. The hops were almost set, now they are changing to ones not even voted on. And the yeast choices are all over the place. Now the 4 proposed in the poll are a mixture of everything.

It was supposed to be a group thing, and more and more its becoming individual concensus. Last years recipe went by the polls, and the majority votes held more ground than the individual. And last years was more complex. Now we are trying to brew a simple American Pale Ale, and its going off the deep end.

Seriously, Im not trying to offend anyone, but on the previous recipe, cut off points were set on each part of the process, and we moved on to the next. And that simple process has since eluded us. And in my opinion, Dude kept good control over the last one, by doing the cut offs, and moving on to the next part. Dude didnt create the previous recipe, but he did create order in creating it.

My opinion on getting straightened out is to take the majority results, and fomulate 3 simple, straight forward polls, 1 for the grain bill which includes the 7 grains chosen, but in the various amounts. 1 for the hops choice out of the top 5 chosen, and one for the yeast. Then the recipe can be formulated by the group, decide on a hops schedule, and brewed to be ready by 07.07.07, which was the original idea to begin with, when Dude prompted us to do a 06.06.06 group recipe. I really want us to do a true group brew, and think we can do it.

We're allowing too many options. Let's settle this one and for all:

Here's the grain bill

Dude, you pick out the hops and your decision is final. However, keep it within these confines:

1. Under 3 ounces total
2. No flavors that will overpower the malt
3. No dry hopping, First Wort Hopping, or any other "trick hopping".
4. Since this is an American Pale Ale, let's try to work with American hops.

Limit it to two or three varieties, and keep the IBU's at a level where everyone will enjoy the flavor. You can also determine the additions.

YEAST: American Pale Ale. 1272 or 1056. You have the option.

Now, can everyone agree with that?

Tony said:
My opinion on getting straightened out is to take the majority results, and fomulate 3 simple, straight forward polls, 1 for the grain bill which includes the 7 grains chosen, but in the various amounts. 1 for the hops choice out of the top 5 chosen, and one for the yeast. Then the recipe can be formulated by the group, decide on a hops schedule, and brewed to be ready by 07.07.07, which was the original idea to begin with, when Dude prompted us to do a 06.06.06 group recipe. I really want us to do a true group brew, and think we can do it.

I think I'm in this camp. I wasn't around for 06.06.06 though, so I really don't know what the precedent was. :confused: For this one though, we had a grain bill, then we moved on to hops, and now someone wants to change the grain bill? I think we need to go back to what was already "agreed upon."

The top three hops from the poll were Cascade, Simcoe, and Amarillo. We should use those. Period.

Yeast hasn't been discussed much. Let's nail down the hop profile using what the majority voted for (see above), and then move to yeast.

Someone please tell me (a) I'm not alone, or (b) to shut up and sit down in the corner where I belong. Thanks.

At this point, I like the grain bill, and I'll go along with whatever is decided on with hops and yeast.

Here's the grain bill

I haven't chimed in much on this since it seemed to be getting so crazy it was hard to follow. I figured I'd let the dust settle and brew up whatever was decided on by the majority. I like the grain bill as posted above by Cheesefood as well. I'll sit back now and wait for a decision on hops and yeast. Hey man, I'm easy!

Cheese and freaking rice.
I am sorry I ever started the stupid thread in the first place!

I'm just going to brew my own version of it....now that it is a big joke for everyone, it kind of taints the mood.

Torchiest said:
LMAO! That is a very good point. This whole thing is becoming both more exhausting and more amusing as time goes by. If I had been around for 06.06.06, I probably would've already learned my lesson and not exacerbated the problem.
The 06.06.06 brew went much smoother. Lots of input and lots of agreement.

Hey guys, this is gettin' out of control here! Torchiest set up the polls over the last week and we voted, it's done. over with. Now let's move on to the good part and brew this thing. I voted, and I think we should get the burners fired up! If we need Dude to stop this bout then I think he'll chime in.

I have already given the 7/7/7 brew some thought as that also happens to be my birthday. My thoughts would be to brew something that could be put away for vertical tastings on 08/08/08 and 09/09/09 and 10/10/10. This would require a nice hefty barleywine somewhere in the 1.120 OG range with about 20% Munich malt, about 100 IBU from a magnum hop bittering addition and another 20 or so IBU from a First Wort Hop addition of Goldings. This would be ready for a first tasting on 08/08/08 but not reach peak flavor until the 10/10/10 date. It would still be good (and possibly still improve) for another 5 or 6 years after that. The more I think about it, I had better make a 10 gallon batch of this one. :)

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Everyone's missing the obvious:

The 7-7-7 Regional Brewoff

Have each regional "group" on the board come together with their own recipe and then exchange them all for a "light" competition. (can we say NOT lowbuck).

For the honor of all and nothing more. Oh and for fun.

We have the VagraNCy boys, the Chicago area guys, MI/WI area people, maybe an Arizona connection, some Texas folk, and perhaps a Southern division.

Simply brew your own recipes, exchange them all with every "team" and let taste be the judge and honor be the prize.

:mug:

There...I'm out!
:drunk:

Cheesefood said:

Here's the grain bill

Dude, you pick out the hops and your decision is final. However, keep it within these confines:

1. Under 3 ounces total
2. No flavors that will overpower the malt
3. No dry hopping, First Wort Hopping, or any other "trick hopping".
4. Since this is an American Pale Ale, let's try to work with American hops.

Limit it to two or three varieties, and keep the IBU's at a level where everyone will enjoy the flavor. You can also determine the additions.

YEAST: American Pale Ale. 1272 or 1056. You have the option.

Now, can everyone agree with that?

I like this idea. I held my nose and voted for option 4 before I read the replies. I'm not a hophead and I think the hop additions were getting crazy. Bird's option 5 seemed better than any of the 4 in the poll. We all have different ideas of what makes a good beer and trying to reach a consensus will be all but impossible. We really need the benevolent dictator in here (aka Dude) to finalize this recipe so we can start brewing.

Hey I'm new guy and not supposed to post, but the aswer is there if you can sift through the confusion. Polls were taken and there were winners of those polls. The bottom line is if it's an APA then let's make it a structurally sound and well balanced beer, the grain bill that won the polls should be used! the hop bill of cascade, simcoe and amarillo should be used (although no dry hopping!) As far as the yeast goes the 1056 is fine, dry neutral-flavored, finishes soft, clean and well balanced (no fruity esters!) Let's just agree and then get brewing! Dude can chime in if he agrees, but let's stop introducing NEW ideas.

Good Night Now!:D

Eastside Brewer said:
Hey I'm new guy and not supposed to post

Holy crap, I just re-read my post... gawd I'm a d**k. All apologies sir. If you're ever in Central TX, look me up; I owe you a sixer.

Wow, central Texas! That's where I'm from. No wonder we think alike. Your'e my hero! Keep up the good work Tex! And folks remember Don't Mess With Texas! :mug:

Back