Left in fermentor for over four months, still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyEagles78

Reaction score
I have a batch of Irish Pub Ale that has been sitting in my fermenter for about 4 months now. With the holidays and all of that stuff it kind of gotten pushed aside. Do you think it is still good or should I just dump it? It would be a shame to waste a kit. I am going to bottle it. (Kegs are for the summer months.)

Thanks for your help!! :cross:

Sounds like you've already answered your question. It should be fine, bottle it, taste it and let us know. Although, it sounds as if you are going to have one helluva good Irish Pub Ale on your hands. :mug:

Sounds like you've already answered your question. It should be fine, bottle it, taste it and let us know. Although, it sounds as if you are going to have one helluva good Irish Pub Ale on your hands. :mug:

Thanks! I am going to bottle it this weeeknd. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

You can simply taste it and see if it tastes like flat beer or wet cardboard. No reason to go through all the effort of bottling if it is the latter.

I sure hope so. I have a Saison and a robust porter I brewed right before deploying that will be in the primaries a lot longer than that. I had my wife set the temp down to 38 after a month so now they're just cold conditioning, although on the yeast.

I had an Octoberfest that was in secondary and noticed that it appeared to have a lactobacillus infection - so I left it, for ONE YEAR in the carboy. The airlock went dry and it developed a nice pellicle. I finally, tasted it and then kegged it. Now I say it is a Flanders red. Tastes pretty damn good!!!

I predict tasty. Probably not great, but tasty.

I had a fermenter go for 9 months once. A neighbor had split a batch with me and took his 5G home to ferment. Nine months later, he told me he'd forgotten about it.

We bottled and drank it. It wasn't bad. Although it started life as an IPA, it made an OK amber after 9 months on the yeast. No nose left, of course.

Store them warm, cool down a sixer at a time only, record how the taste improves by the last sixer.

Beer WANTS to take it's time.

You may need to get some yeast into the bottles. I did this once and the bottles took a very long time before I could detect any pressure change. Some never pressurized and tasted like syrup because the yeast didn't eat the sugars.

I sure hope so. I have a Saison and a robust porter I brewed right before deploying that will be in the primaries a lot longer than that. I had my wife set the temp down to 38 after a month so now they're just cold conditioning, although on the yeast.

My wife has a PCS to Schofield Barracks in March. Cant say I am unhappy about that station assignment :D

I left an Oatmeal Stout in fermentation since 10/2/10 and bottled it on 2/18/11. Did not smelly funny or taste funny. I was worried about autolysis. We shall see how it turns out.

Okay, so the Irish Pub Ale turned out awesome. I have brewed an American Cream Ale, American Wheat, and an American Pilsner since then. I guess I was feeling Patriotic. I will probably brew Honey Brown tomorrow evening. Good stuff!

My wife has a PCS to Schofield Barracks in March. Cant say I am unhappy about that station assignment :D

I left an Oatmeal Stout in fermentation since 10/2/10 and bottled it on 2/18/11. Did not smelly funny or taste funny. I was worried about autolysis. We shall see how it turns out.

You won't be unhappy about the assignment, but coming from Colorado you will probably be very unhappy about the cost of brewing. Average all grain brew cost from the LHBS is about $50. Forget about trying to order online; shipping prices are outrageous.

Here is the link for the only HBS on Oahu
www.homebrewinparadise.com

If you don't have a grain crusher buy one before you PCS

Keith_Mahoney said:
Average all grain brew cost from the LHBS is about $50.

It's costing you $50 for an all grain brew from mikes store? How much stuff are you buying each time? When I was brewing extracts it was costing me 30....now with partial mash I'm at around 20-25..and that's with the white labs yeast

You won't be unhappy about the assignment, but coming from Colorado you will probably be very unhappy about the cost of brewing. Average all grain brew cost from the LHBS is about $50. Forget about trying to order online; shipping prices are outrageous.

Here is the link for the only HBS on Oahu
www.homebrewinparadise.com

If you don't have a grain crusher buy one before you PCS

ingredient kits can be shipped with USPS flat rate boxes. will save you tons if you live in alaska or hawaii.

They do not do flat rate shipping to Hawaii....I have yet to find a company that does. They might advertise it in their website but there will be fine print that says continental US only. If anyone knows of a company that does do flat rate to Hawaii, please let me know. I have checked more beer, mid west, northern, Austin and countless others

They do not do flat rate shipping to Hawaii....I have yet to find a company that does. They might advertise it in their website but there will be fine print that says continental US only. If anyone knows of a company that does do flat rate to Hawaii, please let me know. I have checked more beer, mid west, northern, Austin and countless others

I am stationed in Alaska and face the same problems as you. There are a few places that will do flat rate USPS boxes to Alaska and Hawaii. Keg Cowboy and Austin Homebrew have both shipped stuff to me by USPS. Of course, it has to fit in one of their flat rate boxes. They can even ship it in two boxes. Their websites say nothing about it. You have to ask for it. If you order online, you pay full shipping price on the order form and make a note that you want it shipped in USPS flat rate boxes. They then adjust the price for you. Of course, you never know what it's going to be until the order is already submitted. But they've never done me wrong.

Keith_Mahoney said:
Average all grain brew cost from the LHBS is about $50.

It's costing you $50 for an all grain brew from mikes store? How much stuff are you buying each time? When I was brewing extracts it was costing me 30....now with partial mash I'm at around 20-25..and that's with the white labs yeast

Yeah but it's probably because:
1. I like bigger beers
2. I do all grain
3. I don't have my own grain mill like people on here told me to get before moving here and I only get 60% eff off the crush at the store. So I buy a lot of grain at one time.

But hey I like the store. He always has what I want. The few times he hasn't he got it in real quick.

Back