Bad mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm currently brewing a 1 gallon test batch of pomegranate mead. I used 3 pounds of honey, a package of yeast and filled the rest with organic pomegranate juice.
It's been sitting for a month now, and there's a weird brown film on the inside of the bottle, and the top of the liquid has some bubbled that haven't popped in a few days.
There's still a ton of tiny bubbles, so I know the yeast is still feeding, but I was wondering if anyone knew what that brown is? Is it just the coloring and contents of the pomegranate juice degrading with time, or has the batch gone bad? I'll probably leave it just to see what it tastes like when I finish it next month, but I was just wondering if anyone knew what that was...

Taste a little bit and see......

I believe that pomegranate can degrade colour-wise and it's entirely feasible that its just degraded pigment that has floated up with some yeast cells....

This is what it looks like. Not too icky, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the help! I'm wondering if the finished product is gonna come out not red too....

ForumRunner_20131107_144713.jpg

What do you mean a packet of yeast, how about a packet of what kind of yeast. Looks like sediment settling onthe sides, give the bottle a quick sharp twist to the left followed by one to the right to dislodge it and let if fall the to bottom. WVMJ

Back