Hot Side Clear Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparx12

Reaction score
Hey guys, does anybody here currently use or know of a clear flexible tubing that can be used on wort/water at temperatures up to 212F? I found some UV-resistant stuff on Mcmaster but i wanted to see if anyone else is currently using it or something similar. it is "UV-resistant Clear PVC" PN 1487T4.

BobbyM with brewhardware.com recently switched to a silicon hose that is really clear. His will be the next hose i buy when i start replacing or adding hoses

why do you guys need tubing that can take that much heat? I am assuming it is because you guys are running gas systems and are worried about the heat on the side of the vessels?

Flame wash is one. Also making sure it is 100% neutral at the temps the wort is at going through it.

I also like how flexible the silicone tubing is even at room temp. No memory in it to speak of. I even use it on my keg spray wand since it's much easier to use that way.

What in the world hits 500 degrees though?

Flame wash from the burner under the kettle/keggle can easily get up there.

It might not be in enough places but it's smarter to exceed the temperatures you'll encounter by a healthy margin than be too close to it. At least we know we'll not have any issue with the silicone tubing.

I placed a split piece of the tubing onto the handle to the ball valve on my first keggle. My current keggle is built with TC connections so the valve handle is further away from the flame wash.

Maybe we're over-engineering what we use hot side but I've never heard of any flavor issues from people using the silicone tubing as we do.

I will just add I have not had any with Tygoprene either and did I mention it's cheaper :)

thanks guys. I might go with the tygoprene or the super clear PVC i found on mcmaster. It seems to be the clearest and that is what i am looking for. also it is UV resistant. I don't have to worry about open flames!

Back