How long does DME stay fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
...just bought 50 lbs of DME and it is a HUGE amount.

With a typical recipe using more than 1/2 DME for the total brew, it should make at least 10 or 12 batches, so I probably would store this no longer than 2 - 3 months or so.

Can I store this in zip bags in my basement in a large plastic tub?

Thx...

Yep. Zip lock bags & purge most of the O2 out of the bag. Moisture is your enemy with DME!! You'll know what I'm talking about after you fill the zip lock bags. $hit stick to everything that has an iota of moisture in it.

Buy 2 homer buckets with lids, that'll keep it airtight and you'll be able to hold 25lbs in each bucket with a couple inches of headspace. I now use a 15.5gal food grade drum to store my DME and grains in.

Buy 2 homer buckets with lids, that'll keep it airtight and you'll be able to hold 25lbs in each bucket with a couple inches of headspace. I now use a 15.5gal food grade drum to store my DME and grains in.

+1!
I don't really see the point in vacuum sealing. That sounds a bit overkill but to each his own. The trick with the bulk DME is keeping the bucket open for the least amount of time. Also, I usually try to measure out the amount i need for my batch before I start getting the water up to a boil. That way there is not a lot of moisture in the air while I have the bucket open.

I use a 50lb dogfood storage container for my bulk grain. It would work the same for DME. It's got a locking lid with a rubber gasket to keep out pests and moisture. It also has wheels to roll it around. I think I picked it up for about $17. Keep the DME away from moisture and it will last a long time.

Are the homer buckets food grade? Does it need to be food grade? I have my dme in vacuum seal bags but when I did that it was the worst experience ever. DME gets in the air and coats everything in the kitchen. Everything was sticky forever. The gf complained about the floor for quite awhile.

Are the homer buckets food grade? Does it need to be food grade? I have my dme in vacuum seal bags but when I did that it was the worst experience ever. DME gets in the air and coats everything in the kitchen. Everything was sticky forever. The gf complained about the floor for quite awhile.

Yep, HDPE #2.

... I have my dme in vacuum seal bags but when I did that it was the worst experience ever. DME gets in the air and coats everything in the kitchen. Everything was sticky forever. The gf complained about the floor for quite awhile.

Ok, I've never tried it, but I can see that happening. My suggestion was a dud...:drunk:

I do like the homer bucket though, cheap and easy. But, to get the DME in the bucket, it'll get airborne. So maybe doing it outside would be a good suggestion.:D

I don't use that much DME, so I only buy what I need, when I need it. I'll let the LHBS guy worry about dividing it up.
:mug:

Back