Two harvests in 2012 in Upstate New York

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMaslar

Reaction score
I see that most of the country has enjoyed a very mild winter and early spring thus far. In Binghamton, NY, it was in the 60s and 70s last week, and still unseasonably warm in the 50s to 60s this week. My 3rd year and 2nd year Cascade and Willamette are 6-18" and going steady. The cuttings I took are rooting nicely under CFLs and will be outside by the end of the week.
What are the chances I could get 2 harvests off of the older plants? How far along are plants who regularly do get 2? Last year was a good season if you constantly watered. I harvested in Sept which seemed to have been right on point.
Thanks!

What are the chances I could get 2 harvests off of the older plants?
i believe that the chances are nil, unless you use lights. hops don't start flowering until they sense the days getting shorter.

some plants need X days until they flower/produce fruit, these plants you can get more than one harvest per year. but unless you use artificial lights (i.e. you can fake an increase and a decrease in light per day) with hops, you're only going to get one harvest per season.

Back