Bunny wars!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
Friends...as of today, I am declaring a BUNNY WAR against one large, brown rodent who is charmingly dining on MY garden vegetables. In the twelve years I've lived here, I've had bunnies once or twice, but this bunny is persistent...and hungry! I shook on ground cayenne pepper, and he dined. I fenced in the garden with plastic fencing. He chewed through it and dined. I patched the fencing with doubled plastic fencing. He chewed through it and dined!

So, today I did the TRIPLE WHAMMY:

#1: I sprayed ALL of his favorite vegetables with a "tea" made from garlic powder and cayenne pepper;
#2: I shook out a ring of granules containing coyote urine [wabbits don't like coyotes] all around the garden;
#3: I took the plastic fencing down and put up a "chicken wire" fence...I even thought about electrifying it!

GO AHEAD, WABBIT AND MAKE MY DAY! BE AFWAID, WABBIT! BE VEWY, VEWY AFWAID! Remember, wabbit, I own a .22 rifle and know how to use it!

glenn514:mug:

let him dine then ... WHAM-O, you dine on wabbit stew.

Buy blood meal and shake liberally on your garden. It will stink like a cow died in your yard but it works pretty well on those nasty vegetarians.

Yuppers, I believe having a dog is perhaps why we have not been bothered by one single HUNGRY bunny in past years. We had a dog...just a mut...who was chained in the backyard...not too far from where the "dinning room"...AKA, garden...currently is located. If he were still around, I do believe the bunny would be eating someone else's veggies!

But the TRIPLE WHAMMY of anti-bunny tea, coyote urine and wire fence seems to be working well. Be afwaid, Bunny! Vewy, vewy afwaid!

You need a 700 Nitro express. Shoot him. If you miss, the damn thing will die from the concusion!

+1 on the blood meal. I used some on my yard and don't smell a thing though, although my dog is fascinated by it. Any prey animal that smells blood in the area is going to want to relocate. Plus, it's a great nitrogen fertilizer.

If the bunny ends up being stew, you need to include veggies from the garden and call it "Garden Bunny Stew". A friend of mine had a deer that ate a bunch of his garden, and he shot it and made "Garden Deer Stew". I still giggle a little when I get to tell the story.

+1 on the 700 Nitro Express. Peace through fire superiority. OORAH!

I also prefer sniping the little bastards with a 22-250 loaded hot, pop em at 500 yards and eat em Hasenpfeffer style with some added root veggies. Nothing says "my garden" quite like varmint stew! Sorry Bugs, but you are tasty!!!! :ban:

* your garden may not be quite big enough to take 500yd shots in, I knock em at a local farm where I have room to push varminting out that far*

pop em at 500 yards and eat em

Good grief! I live on a little-bitty city lot! It's even an UNDERSIZED city lot...before the city passed a law on minimum lot size! At 500 yards, I'd be in the next block! But...

A portion of my home's roof is flat...the part nearest the garden. Certainly wouldn't be too hard to sit up there in a comfy lawn chair, waiting for WASCALLY WABBIT to come along and zap him with either my .22 rifle or an air gun!

Which is probably against the law (discharge of firearms in the city - which normally include air rifles). Having said that, I got 14 many years ago.

I now vote for live traps and a 5 gallon bucket of water.

Since humans have displaced the top predators in the food chain, we have to be prepared to take their place, or the f'ing prey animals will overrun us.

OK. I had to sober up especially to respond to you, tedpeer.

If you wanna kill rabbits, have at it. I've taken them with shotguns and air rifles. But don't drown them in a bucket. That's just mean. Mean and cruel.

Can't shoot a gun in a neighborhood? Lop off their heads with a hatchet.

Torturing something to death, causing something unnecessary suffering while you kill it, aside from being not the most efficient way of dispatch, is unethical. Drowning rabbits in a bucket may even be illegal.

And I'm not some metro city boy that never chewed on cane right from the field or spent time on the family dairy and thinks his meat is made at the grocery store. I'm from the South. Hunt and fish. Have sex with women. Drink beer. Drive a truck and a motorcycle. Own guns. Hell, I even have a tattoo and it's not of a unicorn and a rainbow. All that I don't abide drowning rabbits in buckets.

Now, if you meant to cook the rabbit in the water, 5 gallons is too much. Even if you're having rice with it. You want enough water to keep the rabbit covered while cooking. A crock pot works great.

Can't shoot a gun in a neighborhood? Lop off their heads with a hatchet.

"Shouldn't" would probably be a better word than "Can't." Shot my .22 several times trying to kill a crazed racoon that was hiding between my trash cans and my house in broad daylight. Had the neighbor bring his Harley over, start it and rev it whilst I pulled the trigger. Got the crazy critter, too!

And that same process has already been discussed this week with said neighbor!

In a small neighborhood the crack of a 22 or 17 is pretty noticeable. A .22 cal air rifle on the other hand.... ;)

In a small neighborhood the crack of a 22 or 17 is pretty noticeable. A .22 cal air rifle on the other hand.... ;)

Yea, I know. And one of my neighbors is an anal *****. Makes me wanna look for an air gun of some sort the next time I'm at Walmart.

Be afwaid, Wabbit, be vewy afwaid!

It's a little more muffled if you take the live trap that's not empty into the garage, close the doors, and then shoot the critter.

Well, if you're not going to get in some big spittle flying fight with me, I'm going back to drinking. Don't come start nothin in a few beers. :)

Crosman and Gamo make springer style air rifles that will easily dispatch the rabbit in the yard. If you can shoot from inside to outside, you got it made. If you can kill shot in one shot, you'll probably get away with it outside. The Crosman Phantom 1000 is capable.

I have a cheapo pump pellet gun that will take down woodchucks. I am sure it would take down bunny wabbits, too. Shewt the damned thing and eat your vegetables in the form of woasted wabbit.

nuke_the_site_from_orbit.jpg

Back