What happens if I use too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelEssary

Reaction score
I have a Mr. Beer kit and it comes with the 2gm packets of yeast. I went to the brewstore and bought a 5gm packet of yeast to use instead. What will be the outcome if I use too much of the yeast in the brew?

Nothing. The yeast will eat the sugars available and then fall to the bottom. I've heard that sometimes Mr. Beer beers can have a yeasty taste, but that's not from too much yeast- that's from bottling too soon.

Adding more yeast than the recipe calls for won't harm it.

Nothing. The yeast will eat the sugars available and then fall to the bottom. I've heard that sometimes Mr. Beer beers can have a yeasty taste, but that's not from too much yeast- that's from bottling too soon.

Adding more yeast than the recipe calls for won't harm it.

Thanks, I kind of figured it wouldn't harm it but I wasn't too sure.

If I use too much sugar and too much yeast will it just have a higher ABV?
I am making some Apfelwein right now and didn't measure exact amounts of brown sugar or yeast.

5 grams? I use 23 grams and that's a barely optimum pitching rate for 5 gallons. I wouldn't worry about over pitching unless you're talking cups of yeast not grams.

5 grams? I use 23 grams and that's a barely optimum pitching rate for 5 gallons. I wouldn't worry about over pitching unless you're talking cups of yeast not grams.

A Mr. Beer fermenter is 2.5 gallons or so.

He didn't overpitch, but I'm surprised you use 23 grams in 5 gallons. I've never used more than a 10 gram package of Nottingham, and I don't underpitch. In fact, I just took a glance at Mr. Malty's pitching calculator, and for an 1.048 wort, he says I should pitch .8 of a package (10 gram). I wouldn't pitch .8, I'd pitch the whole thing of course, so I'd be ever so slightly overpitching. With 23 grams, you're overpitching. Unless you're making a big, big beer, there isn't any reason to add over two packages of yeast.

A Mr. Beer fermenter is 2.5 gallons or so.

He didn't overpitch, but I'm surprised you use 23 grams in 5 gallons. I've never used more than a 10 gram package of Nottingham, and I don't underpitch. In fact, I just took a glance at Mr. Malty's pitching calculator, and for an 1.048 wort, he says I should pitch .8 of a package (10 gram). I wouldn't pitch .8, I'd pitch the whole thing of course, so I'd be ever so slightly overpitching. With 23 grams, you're overpitching. Unless you're making a big, big beer, there isn't any reason to add over two packages of yeast.

Oh right 2.5 gallons didn't know that.
I use 2 11.5 gram packs of safale 04 in +1.050 OG beers and depending on where you look each 11.5 gram pack has 110 billion cells but I've read that only about 85% are viable yeast so doubling that you'd get about 200 billion cells which is, depending on where you look, optimum rates for up to 1.060 og beers.

That being said 1 pack is plenty of yeast but I don't think pitching 2 is over pitching.

Back