Questions on honey brown ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beninan

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to say hello to everyone. This is my first post on HBT and I hope to have plenty more!

I have been excited about home brewing for years now, and now i have finally started! I've only made one brew so far (haven't tried it yet other than right before bottling, it's still in my closet carbonating right now), and I want to get started on my next batch while Im bored waiting for my first. First brew is a dunkelweizen from a kit. Now I want my second batch to be my own recipe.

Now, my brother is a mead guy and Im the beer guy. Ive been trying to get him into liking beer as much as I do, and we both share a common interest- Honey.

I've been looking at different recipes for honey brown ales for different ideas, and I think I have got my recipe...somewhat. All the recipes I've seen end up as a brown ale with a hint of honey flavor. I don't want a "hint", I want HONEY. Also i would like to have a high alcohol percentage as well (around 10%), so it would be more of my brother's likings.

Ok, now with my recipe:

7 lbs amber LME (newbie brewer here, seems easiest yet still very effective)
3 lbs honey
1.5 lbs brown sugar
1.5 lbs honey malt
1 lb crystal malt
.5 lb chocolate malt
hops (this is where im still thinking. Any suggestions??)
yeast- WLP001 California Ale

Strain malt at 150 degrees for 60 minutes
Boil and add LME, brown sugar, and hops(?)
Add all honey at flame out
primary ferment for about a week, secondary ferment for a couple weeks, then bottle with corn sugar.

As for the hops, I thought about using pre-hopped LME at first, but now i don't want to due to uncertainty of what hops are used. I'm not sure where to go with this one though. I would like a nice subtle hop flavor with a slight bitterness if anyone could suggest one.

Back to the recipe, what do you think? Do you think this may work? Do I need to add more fermentables to make the SG higher for my desired alcohol percentage?

Ive been imagining this brew in my mouth as a nice, warming, sweet, sit-around-the-campfire brew, and all the other recipes seem too mild.

if you don't like to read, i'm sorry about the long post. i wanted to make sure everyone knows what my intentions are for this brew. Also, if this is in the wrong forum, sorry again, maybe mods could move it?

Thanks!

I'm not much of a honey guy, but I think if you search for Braggot you might get some ideas, becasue it seems like that's the way your leaning (braggot is honey with malt) That is a lot of honey and sugar, so it might be a little thin in the mouthfeel.
1.5 lbs honey malt is ALOT of honey malt. In my experience it takes very little (4-8 ounces) to get a strong honey taste. As to hops, maybe something like Fuggles or Mt. Hood, somewhere in the 20-30 ibu range for such a big beer to still be balanced.

And welcome to HBT. It's the best!

Hi, I just joined as well and I just started a batch very similar to what you are talking about. The recipe kit I used called for this. I used 2-3 pounds of honey, just tried to put in about half of the 5 pound jug. Unfortunatly I got in the habit of adding all of the supplied ingredient and put in waaay more irish moss than was required. Hopefully I won't get a seaweed flavored beer.

Honey Brown Ale

6.6 lbs. Gold Liquid Malt Extract
2 lb honey
1 lb. Honey Malt two row (cracked)
1 lb. Cara Pils Grain (cracked)
½ lb Victory (cracked)
6 oz. Chocolate Grain (cracked)
1oz. Tettnanger or Saaz
1/2 oz. Tettnanger or Saaz
1 tsp. Irish Moss
2 tsp. Gypsum
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - American Ale

Okay, I looooooove honey malt; there are a ton of brews I put it in when I was the beer to be dry but still have malty sweetness. Don't expect any honey flavor for the honey addition... it'll all be coming from the honey malt. However, I'm going to have to say that 1.5lbs is too much. It's like roasted barley: great addition to use... just make sure you use in sparingly. I'd say drop it to 1.0lb, if not less.

Welcome to HBT! Hope brewing goes well! :mug:

First of all, I would like to say hello to everyone. This is my first post on HBT and I hope to have plenty more!

I have been excited about home brewing for years now, and now i have finally started! I've only made one brew so far (haven't tried it yet other than right before bottling, it's still in my closet carbonating right now), and I want to get started on my next batch while Im bored waiting for my first. First brew is a dunkelweizen from a kit. Now I want my second batch to be my own recipe.

Now, my brother is a mead guy and Im the beer guy. Ive been trying to get him into liking beer as much as I do, and we both share a common interest- Honey.

I've been looking at different recipes for honey brown ales for different ideas, and I think I have got my recipe...somewhat. All the recipes I've seen end up as a brown ale with a hint of honey flavor. I don't want a "hint", I want HONEY. Also i would like to have a high alcohol percentage as well (around 10%), so it would be more of my brother's likings.

Ok, now with my recipe:

7 lbs amber LME (newbie brewer here, seems easiest yet still very effective)
3 lbs honey
1.5 lbs brown sugar
1.5 lbs honey malt
1 lb crystal malt
.5 lb chocolate malt
hops (this is where im still thinking. Any suggestions??)
yeast- WLP001 California Ale

Strain malt at 150 degrees for 60 minutes
Boil and add LME, brown sugar, and hops(?)
Add all honey at flame out
primary ferment for about a week, secondary ferment for a couple weeks, then bottle with corn sugar.

As for the hops, I thought about using pre-hopped LME at first, but now i don't want to due to uncertainty of what hops are used. I'm not sure where to go with this one though. I would like a nice subtle hop flavor with a slight bitterness if anyone could suggest one.

Back to the recipe, what do you think? Do you think this may work? Do I need to add more fermentables to make the SG higher for my desired alcohol percentage?

Ive been imagining this brew in my mouth as a nice, warming, sweet, sit-around-the-campfire brew, and all the other recipes seem too mild.

if you don't like to read, i'm sorry about the long post. i wanted to make sure everyone knows what my intentions are for this brew. Also, if this is in the wrong forum, sorry again, maybe mods could move it?

Thanks!

Okay I am certainly no brew expert . I used a can of Muntons nut brown . Instead of using it like the directions said i made a wort with unknown amounts of ( hand fulls maybe 1 to 2 ounces ) of black and crystal 70L and chocolate and honey . I put in some fuggle hops however I screwed up and dropped them in at the wrong time so they were basically flavor at the end . I put in the can of Muntons and 2 pounds of honey for flavor and alcohol and boiled a few more minutes and then chilled in ice water . I used safale o4 yeast and the yeast hat came with the Muntons . i always use two packs of yeast .
It came out pretty good . had better flavor I think after conditioning in about 80 degrees for a while after a month in 72 to 74 .
also had better luck at carbonation when making sure to bottle after it was ready in about 4 days instead of 1 week in primary and another two in secondary . I now only use primary and I use yeast starter and nutrient so it ferments fast .

I like the brown sugar idea . i am going to use it tomorrow . sounds like a good way to add flavor and sweetness .
Ever tried using wine yeast for more alcohol ? maybe a pack along with the ale yeast .

Latest posts

Back