First taste!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFurstyFerret

Reaction score
For my first batch I used a Cooper's IPA with 300g extra dextrose. After a week I added 1oz of cascade.

After two weeks in the fermenter and now 4 whole days in the bottles I just had to try my first one in the name of 'experimentation'!

I was kind of concerned it wouldn't be carbonated but its not too bad.

I like flavour in beer and this certainly has it. It's also got quite a fruity aroma so I guess its still quite green and has some conditioning to do yet.

When I cleaned the bottle there was a crazy amount of gunk that came out! I guess I could do a better job with racking!

But I'm super excited that my beer is drinkable - especially now I've ran out of stuff I bought!

Time to get the next batch on the go I think!

:mug:

There is quite a bit of gunk formed by bottle carbing, different yeasts putting off different amounts. I have also found time in fridge seems to compact it in the bottle. Also congratulations on your first. Spend some time on here and you will be surprised how much you pick up.

Grats on the first step to the major addiction. I think about brewing a heck of a lot more than drinking.... I drink plenty but that shows how much I enjoy and just want to brew!!

Congrats on the first brew. Once they're carbonated just store as many as you can in the fridge upright and that will help clear them out more.

Thanks guys.

It's exciting to think I've 35 X 500ml bottles to to and it's only going to get better.

I think next time I'll use Chinook instead of Cascade to try the pine effect!

If you used the Cooper's ale yeast that came with the can,it'll produce fruity esters. Very common in English & Austraslian ales.
Too much gunk in the bottles makes me wonder if you let it settle out after FG was reached? Doing so will give clearer beer going into bottles & less trub at the bottom. But fridge time of at least a week will compact it on the bottom Clear any chill haze you may have. Not to mention better carbonation & head.

Thanks Unionrdr.

I noticed the fruity aroma during fermentation and assumed I'd fermented at a temperature that was a little high.

I guess it could be just the yeast.

Any recommendations for an effective less fruity IPA yeast at 60 degrees or so?

Thanks Unionrdr.

I noticed the fruity aroma during fermentation and assumed I'd fermented at a temperature that was a little high.

I guess it could be just the yeast.

Any recommendations for an effective less fruity IPA yeast at 60 degrees or so?

Try Fermentis US-05

Latest posts

Back