Chipotle Shrimp and Corn Chowder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got some good reviews on this recipe after I made it correctly. First time used way too many peppers and left the seeds in. If you decide to make this, be warned. You need to have experience with peppers if you want it to turn out like you like it.

Second, this is a very loose recipe. You can add more or less of just about everything here and still make a great soup. In fact, I encourage you to tailor the recipe to suit your personal tastes.

4 strips of thick bacon
1/2 to 1 large onion
1 cup or so of celery
Few garlic cloves
2 Tbsp Flour (or so...)
1/4 1/2 cup sherry or other cooking wine
5-8 medium redskin ptoatoes
Large bag of frozen corn
4 cups chicken stock
1 lb shrimp
1 large chicken breast
1-2 cups of whole milk (or however much you want...)
1 pint or so of heavy cream
1-2 tsp of Thyme

1 can of Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce. (USE AS MUCH AS YOU KNOW YOU CAN HANDLE!) ;)

Basically it starts with frying 4 strips of thick bacon.
While the bacon is cooking, dice up the celery and onion.
When the bacon is cooked, remove from pan and add the onions and celery to the grease and saute with some salt to soften. Mince some garlic and toss it in. Saute until that stuff is tender and yummy.

Add a couple of TBsp of flour or so to the onion stuff and mix it up. Let it brown a bit on the pan.

Transfer mixture to a soup kettle and return the pan to the heat and deglaze with the sherry.

Add sherry and 4 cups of chicken broth or stock to the soup kettle, add the whole milk and turn the heat up to get it going.

Cut up some potatoes, and add to the kettle along with the bacon and corn. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer.

While potatoes are cooking, prepare shrimp. Cut shrimp in half lengthwise or use some very small shrimp.

Take 2-3 chipotle peppers and slice them open and remove the seeds and stringy guts. Toss the seeds and guts away and mince the peppers fairly fine.

Add to the kettle with the shrimp. Allow the shrimp to cook through, like maybe 5 minutes.

Add the heavy cream and thyme and bring back up to a boil.

Cut the heat and serve.

I also added a bit of chicken since I used a good portion of my bag of shrimp in the failed previous attempt. And I had some chicken left over from the Chicken Corn Chowder I made the other day.

**Now, there are many variables that come into play here. There isn't much that can't be adjusted for personal preference. If the soup isn't as thick as you like, simply make a roux and thicken it up.

**Roux: Add some oil (few tablespoons) to a saucepan. I like bacon grease, but vegetable oil works fine too. Heat it up and add some flour by the tablespoonful until the mixture is very thick.

Keep the saucepan on the heat as needed to keep it hot without burning.

Add some of the soup broth to the pan a ladle at a time and mix it in. This will slowly thin the roux to the point where it won't lump up when you add it to the soup.

Add roux to the boiling soup. Use as much as needed to get the thickness you want your soup to be.

This is more like a chowder, so I made it thicker than a cream soup, but not as thick as the Chicken Corn Chowder I made the other day. It was still pretty thick even though I did not use a roux this time.

I didn't take a picture, but it looked similar to this when it was done:

images

Latest posts

Back