Alcohol Percentage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rx7gtr07

Reaction score
I am obviously new to brewing my own beer... But what I was wondering is when you do brew your own beer... What is the alcohol percentage as compared to a bottled beer you would buy from the store? Also when you do brew the beer and ferment it.. does it produce any smell like souring foods or anything like that?

That's up to the amount of malt used and the attentuation of the yeast.

If you use 6 lbs versus 10 lbs of malt the 10 lbs obviously has the capability of producing more alcohol if the same yeast is used.

If the yeasts attenuation is 68% or 77% matters also. The higher one has a greater probability of fermenting more of the malt while the lower one will produce a sweeter brew.

To offset the sweetness you'll have to add more bittering hops.

Simple, huh?:D

Welcome!

Sorry for not being specific, but you can learn a lot from reading http://www.howtobrew.com/

Has so much in depth information in home brewing. It was extremely helpful to me when I started out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Welcome to the forums/the addiction that is homebrewing!

Alcohol pecentage depends on the recipe and how the brew ferments. Most would be 5-6 % which is comparable to the common commercial offerings. There are a lot of variables.

Right- it mostly depends on taste. Your typical BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) is what, like, 4%? It's certainly possible to design your recipes to come out at that level, or to design ones that are higher, based upon what you think you might like.

What sorts of commercial beers do you enjoy drinking now?

Also- beer-making has a very distinctive smell (especially if you're doing your boils in the house), but it should not be sour/offensive.

P funky said:
Also- beer-making has a very distinctive smell (especially if you're doing your boils in the house), but it should not be sour/offensive.

Yeah you know, I have a Porter bubbling away...to me it smells great! I dunno but that is just me.

*sigh* Sadly I didn't notice the suspicious wording of his post...

Next question will be "how to make it more alcoholic" and then more memorable insults on par with Elitist *ss C*nt when he realises everyone is having a laugh at his expense :) hmmm that sounds familiar somehow...

rdwj said:
He's even got 18 as his age in his profile - lol
And he's only been 18 for a month! In all honesty, he could be posting from somewhere that the legal age is 18, but from the sound of it, it's like he want's to brew in his room and hide it under the bed, hoping that mom won't find it.

What if he is 18 and lives somewhere other than America where it is perfectly legal to drink at 18.
What happened to benifit of the doubt? Presumed innocent until proven guilty and all that...

It's possible, and if he (I'm assuming) is legal where he's at, appologies and more power to him. But based on the track record that I've seen and with the way the post is worded, I doubt it.

-EAC

Brewsmith said:
It's possible, and if he (I'm assuming) is legal where he's at, appologies and more power to him. But based on the track record that I've seen and with the way the post is worded, I doubt it.

-EAC

True. It is early morning here and coffees are still kicking in.
These are really stupid questions. ...anybody with anysense would have spotted this. Unluckily for me I have but none.

...as for the smell, do what I did, cut the bowl off the top of the airlock and attach a syphon tube long enough to go out a window to get rid of the smell.

Well, assuming his username is unique and based on a quick stalking on google, our friend is 18 from Florida and likes marijuana, paintball, baseball and steroids.

Nice idea. A word to the original poster, legal or not, yeast can produce some funky smells. Sulfury, rotten egg, stale fart smells. I've kept fermenters in my closet, but then I don't mind that my clothes smell like fermenting eggs. :D

-edit- By "nice idea," I was refering to our Tasmanian friend! Not that google isn't the most useful thing ever invented. :p

sorry to bust your bubbles... but... I was born in 83.... I live in florida... and I am using my brothers account because I no longer have an email address... is that ok with you all?

So, what you're saying is that because you had to use your "brother's email account", you had to enter his birthday? You just joined today, so it's not like he had another account that you were forced to use. Besides, you can get an email account in a matter of minutes.

That's got to be one of the worst excuses I've ever heard in my life. Come back in 3 years.

rx7gtr07 said:
sorry to bust your bubbles... but... I was born in 83.... I live in florida... and I am using my brothers account because I no longer have an email address... is that ok with you all?

yahoo and hotmail ran out? I suppose it had to happen.

I live in florida and i was looking up some stuff online and it said that you can brew beer at age 18 but you arent allowed to drink it.

If you were really born in 1983, then I apologize. I usually try to be a nice guy around here and help everyone out, especially the noobies. I was there once, we all were. It's just that when it seems that I'm helping some minor do something that may be at least, something his parents wouldn't want to know about or possibly illegal, being helpful is not somthing I want to do.

grrtt78 said:
I live in florida and i was looking up some stuff online and it said that you can brew beer at age 18 but you arent allowed to drink it.

The federal rule is you can brew at 18, unless your local law defines the minimum drinking age as being higher. You can find that on the website.

Back