home made kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that is the big question, isn't it?

Chest freezer; usually cheaper, usually more energy efficient, usually will require that you build a wood collar (no big deal), can buy chest freezers that will hold more kegs than a fridge could ever dream of, will require an external temperature controller ($50-$60 for an analogue Johnson Controls model).

Fridge (which was my choice); won't require an external temperature controller, which means the freezer part will work normally (I use mine for hops and specialty malts). Doesn't require a collar be built, although you may need to make some modifications inside to make enough room for the kegs and/or to bulk up the bottom shelf.

Oftentimes, the decision is driven by what you can find cheaply; Craigslist will become your best friend. If I were doing it over again, I probably would have gone with the chest freezer.

Where would you be putting it? How many kegs do you need it to hold? How much to you want to spend? How much room do you have?

We need more info to help you answer your question.

I did a freezer...mostly because I saw that Picture of BierMuncher having one dem' colbeers in front of his...and I said to my self, I said "SELF! That should be you" So I did it. It looks ok in the living room, and holds 5 full size kegs and a Little one plus the C02 Bottle. If I ever build my skillz to a point of being able, I'm already a step toward a bar like BrewPastor and Jester369 have.

Had a fridge-based kegger. The new one is a freezer. Much easier to get kegs in & out, if you have more than two.

I am with the chest freezer crowd you can get a lot of beer in there and they really don't take up that much room. That is to say I like mine.
00005.jpg

Somebody stole your tap handles dude! :D

You know one day I was watching my cat rub up against one of my tap handles and I had a horrifying thought. You could only imagine what would happen and what I would have to deal with one day when I got home from work. :(

You could make a million if you come up with a tap and integrated handle that had thumbprint recognition on it to allow/disallow the tap to be pulled. Run it off a couple AA batteries in the handle itself.

I used a freezer instead of a fridge to cool my cold box just because I wanted to get the temps down quick and then have the device turn off. Freezer can get down to below, well .. freezing, and I thought the fridge might end up working too hard to get the box cold.

My cold box measures 30"W x 36"H x 48"L in a rectangle and the upright mini freezer cycles on and off for around 6 minutes every 45 minutes or so.

Back