First Cider - not going as expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddcarout

Reaction score
Just racked my first cider. I took a gravity reading it was 1.032. I was expecting to be lower because it had stopped fermenting.

1 gallon unpasteurized apple juice from a semi local apple orchard
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon Nottingham ale yeast

24 hours prior to adding sugar and pitching yeast I added campdem.

My son dropped my hydrometer so I don't have a O.G.

It tastes good but is really sweet. I expected a little fermentation to start after racking but didn't get any.

I was aiming for a "sweeter" carbonated cider (so everyone would drink it) but was planning on back sweetening it.

Should I add more yeast to get the s.g. down? I don't think flavor is a problem but I don't see adding priming sugar at bottling to do any good.

Any ideas/help would be great.

Thanks OCO

Probably is still fermenting, just because it's not bubbling doesn't mean things aren't happening.

You don't likely need to add more yeast; if you have some nutrient that would be a better addition. I always add yeast nutrient to my ciders, helps them finish off nicely.

Also, unless it ferments dry and you backsweeten you're risking bottle bombs. Look up lots of articles on making sweet, carbonated cider. It's not as simple as you may thing.

If it get it down below 1.01 I should be able to add a little sugar and bottle without bombs.

that's right. Except it will still go dry unless you pasteurize or something. So having a sweeter cider is a bit complicated.

Even at 1.01 you've got a lot of sugar left to ferment out. You'd want to pasteurize.

Nottingham will bring that cider all the way to 1.000 or lower given time. The points come off slowly. Put it away and forget about it for a month or two, it will be fine. Notty makes pretty tasty cider, but it is slow.

Absolutely do not bottle it at 1.010 - it will continue to ferment out and cause bottle bombs.

Back