How hungry is Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNow

Reaction score
I have a saison sitting in secondary at 1.020. I added Brett B when I racked to secondary back on January 1st, 2012. Between 1/1/2012 and today, the gravity has dropped only 4 points. With an ambient temp of ~ 65F will the brett work through the sugars by July 1st? I am looking for a finishing gravity below 1.010.

My other option is to store the secondary on the second floor of my house. The ambient over the next 3 months will be a little higher ~ 67-70F. But the temp will fluctuate more. Is this a better choice given my time frame?

Brett usually gets super attenuative when added as a secondary fermenter. So you did the right thing. However it is slow, usually only eating a point or two a month. So you're on track. So just let it ride and you'll be fine.

That saison should get close to 1.000 so it sounds like you have a ways to go.

I would move it upstairs. A difference of a few degrees will push brett a little but not so much that it will spew nasty flavors. I usually keep my saisons warmer than that. Especially brett saisons. I don't do it to accelerate the process, it just happens to be ambient temperature during the day when it's warm.

** Update **
Taking RAM's advice, I moved the keg to my 2nd floor. I also added .15oz of American medium oak cubes just for kicks. The gravity is now 1.009. So it dropped 11 gravity points in 4 weeks. I actually had a bit of a mess when I pulled the valve. The beer was to the very top of the keg when I racked from primary. Now a little is soaked in my closet.

Overall, the aroma is citrus/pineapple and very pleasant. Looking forward to it dropping more over then next 2 months.

Sounds delicious. Let it sit and brett will keep doing it's thing. You could probably let it get even warmer but no need to rush. It will probably chew up the rest of the sugars in the next couple of months.

** Update #2 **
Just spent 45 minutes slowly bleeding off the pressure from the keg. Can you say keg bomb? The gravity is now 1.006 and is developing nice faint oak characters. One thing I forgot to mention in the original post, I plan to take this to the beach for a week at the end of July. My family will be there and they are SERIOUS wine drinkers. This saison is working out to be exactly what I think they will enjoy.

I plan to take this to the beach for a week at the end of July. My family will be there and they are SERIOUS wine drinkers. This saison is working out to be exactly what I think they will enjoy.

Sounds like an excellent beer. Just remember Brett is an infection that wine makers/drinker avoid and produce faults when the wine is infected.

Sounds like an excellent beer. Just remember Brett is an infection that wine makers/drinker avoid and produce faults when the wine is infected.

In general this is true, but there are world class wines that display significant brett presence. Often the highest regarded vintages are the ones that are the most prominent, with chateau beaucastel comes to mind immediately

In general this is true, but there are world class wines that display significant brett presence. Often the highest regarded vintages are the ones that are the most prominent, with chateau beaucastel comes to mind immediately

Hopefully this isn't too off-topic, but as someone who's usually mostly indifferent to wine, I would be very curious to try a wine with a noticeable brett presence. Are there any that might be easy to track down? I'm sure wine is much more regional than beer, so I've always assumed I would have to ask around at some local wine shops to accomplish this (and probably receive a lot of weird looks.)

I had a 2005 bottle of Mestizaje bobal that did. Smelled like orval, amazing. I think it is more common in old world wineries.

Back