Need Quick Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
I just got my ingredients for my next batch in today. Open the box and the 2112 wyeast activator pack has all ready been popped(guessing in transit). The bag is fully expanded and im not ready to brew for a few days at least. What do i do here. Is i already toast or how can i save it? please help?

put it in the fridge till near your brew day. Make a starter for sure to test viability, and go from there.

There should still be plenty of cells that are viable in there. Just be sure to make a starter to make up for the ones that aren't!

put it in the refrigerator, then pull it out 3-4 hours from using it. if you'll be using it this weekend, go for it

Not planning for this weekend. i thought a starter would be a good idea just have to run by the LHBS and grab it on monday. What does test for viability mean? like if it starts fermenting then use it?

If they ship without a cold pack they will swell. It doesn't mean the activator was popped. If you read on wyeast's website, it says it doesn't matter if they're already swelled and you can still use it as long as it's within 6 months from the mfr date. RDWHAHB. Refrigerate, do a starter as mentioned, and order it with a cold pack next time.

Latest posts

Back