2 questions regarding kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuyerBrew

Reaction score
1) how the HECK do I get my keg to stop smelling like soda/the previous beer that was in it? I clean it with oxyclean as well as starsan and have done about 5 brews in it but the darn thing won't get rid of the previous smell.

2) Besides the obvious keggerator/ice buckets; are there anything besides the keg glove to cool and maintain a kegs temp? My keg glove just isn't doing the trick.

+1 on changing the o-rings. The stainless it self should not maintain a smell...but the rubber rings sure will.

As far as cooling a maintaining a keg temperature. Your going to need someway to keep the keg cold. So, sorry...it's ice or a fridge. The sleeves are just a temporary fix while your at a party or something. Sorta like a big beer coozie.

thanks for the help everyone. I will definitely start mixing oxy and red devil. I wish I didn't believe everything I heard about keg glove as they lead you to believe you have 8 hours of ice cold beer time so I bought 2 and change them out daily. I probably shouldn't be kegging in a 700 sq/ft apt because I can't squeeze in a fridge or ice bucket anywhere. I love the help tho so thanks again.

Back