First brew in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmcjudo

Reaction score
I brewed the all grain recipe of the Austin Homebrew Anniversary IPA. It has been in the primary for 3 days now and I am having visible activity in the airlocok. I opened the spigot yesterday and filled my theif to test the gravity. Is this ok to do? The gravity appeared to read 1.032. Does this sound right? I am planning on keeping my brew in the primary for 2 weeks and then moving it to a secondary for 1 week. My sample tasted sweet with a decent amount of hop flavor. Is there a next step someone could suggest I do while it sits in the primary? I'm worried that it will be infected although I was very careful with the brew after the boil.

Yep sounds right. it will taste sweet till it ferments out more. No next step, just sit and wait before you transfer to the secondary.

Patience is a virtue. While infection is always a possibility, keeping things that come in contact with your brew after boil will ensure a long, infection free, brew life. I am at 13 without an issue! My advice, don't expose your brew to open air any more than necessary. As far as what to do while you wait, get another kit and get ready to fill your primary once you rack to secondary.

Enjoy.

So when I transfer to the secondary should I siphon to avoid air contact, rather than just use the spigot? Also, I was under the impression that I was supposed to be checking the gravity quite regularly. Should I not do this? Is there a safe way to do so? I always dump my samples when I am done with them. Thank you for the replies.

Yes, you need to siphon to your secondary or you'll risk aerating your wort too much and risk oxidation issues. You don't have to check your gravity frequently until you are at the end of fermentation, no shorter than 2 weeks I usually go 3 on every batch. Then check your gravity for three days straight. If you get the same reading, you're ready to bottle your brew. I usually go 3 weeks in primary, 3 in bottle, at least 1 in the fridge before I'll try my brew.

Back