Bad Smell From My Latest Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed a St Arnold's xmas ale clone on Sept 14th. It's about 7% abv.
Primary for 3 weeks, secondary for 2 weeks and then transferred it to a keg and kept it at 40 degrees. I sampled it the other day for the first time and it's got the band-aid smell and taste.

I know the beer is still green, I was hoping to condition it for 3 months and drink around xmas.

I also know it should really sit but my gut tells me that this may be irreversable.
But, it's the first time I've brewed anything with an ABV this high.
So, has this happened to anyone and if so, will it go away in time, by xmas ?
Note: I used no bleach based products for cleaning.

Warm the keg up to about 70F for a week. Sometimes that smell is associated with yeast byproducts (other than diacetyl) produced early in the ferment. Without any sugar to process, the yeast will consume the byproducts.

david_42 said:
Warm the keg up to about 70F for a week. Sometimes that smell is associated with yeast byproducts (other than diacetyl) produced early in the ferment. Without any sugar to process, the yeast will consume the byproducts.

If it were actual chlorophenols causing the band aid taste, which could have arisen from chlorinated water or not rinsing your bleach out enough after serilization, would yeast clean up the chlorophenols too? wondering because i beleive my brew has the same problem. thanks :drunk:

Didn't use bleach ; I don't think it's from the chlorinated water as this is the first time I've experianced this. I'm guessing that the yeast would not clear up chlorophenols but I could be dead wrong.
I'm just hoping that warming it will do the trick but I really think this one is history. We'll see in a week or so.

Back