blue agave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few folks on here have tried it. You might try searching for blue agave,or tequila flavor in beer. I remember something like that. But it is said to ferment out. Secondary maybe?

I added pure agave that I get from Costco to a saison in place of sugar. It was horrible. I love agave, put it in everything, but the slight spiciness did not translate well in my beer.

Hi, we have must in mine that the blue agave and tequila have very differents propierties like flavor, smell, consistance etc and this is because that the tequila is obtained from the blue agave but tequila is a product that had many transformations, extractions, destilations etc because the properties at final are very different than the blue agave if you can obtain extract of blue agave or blue agave himself i am very sure that the taste is very different than tequila, i know from a mexican artesanal beer that use barrels of an old tequila factory their barrels was used to aging tequila and now they used to fermenting their beer and effectivly their beers have a lagthly taste of tequila

I make an Agave Wheat with a simple grain bill of 5 lbs wheat, 4 lbs pale malt and 2 lbs of Amber Agave Nectar and it's delicious. Very crisp and refreshing, IBU's are around 12 and is about 5.5% abv.

I make an Agave Wheat with a simple grain bill of 5 lbs wheat, 4 lbs pale malt and 2 lbs of Amber Agave Nectar and it's delicious. Very crisp and refreshing, IBU's are around 12 and is about 5.5% abv.
Sounds nice. Want to give this a try. When do you add the agave? What hops do you use?

I add the agave at about 10mins remaining in tehe boil and use Hallertauer Mittelfrueh at 3/4 oz at 60, 1/2 oz at 10, and 1/2 oz flameout. I used US-05 to keep the profile clean.

The 05 looks like an American style wheat. The clean yeast should let the Agave flavor come through. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Sounds yummy! :mug:

That does sound outstanding. I have an Agave Wit from AHS (extract kit) fermenting right now. Also called for 2 lbs. Agave nectar (though I added a little bit earlier in the boil). I used the Wyeast witbier yeast (3944). I hope the Agave flavor/aroma is present when it's finished.

Thanks guys! It is a tasty beer and all this talk has made me grab one now that my day is done. Let me know if anybody tries it.

I did make one error this morning though, it's 5 lbs 2-row & 4 lbs wheat.

IMG_0510.jpg

Back