Jack Daniels Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fauxsho

Reaction score
I found (2) 15.5gal kegs on Craigslist yesterday for a really good deal. The dude said that they have been sitting in storage for at least 10 years and he has no use for them anymore. I went to look at them today in person and they were in such good shape I bought them both for keggle projects, ($25 each)

I noticed when I was taking the spear out that one of the kegs is a Jack Daniels keg. I was just curious, what did the Jack Daniels company used to keg?

Well if you haven't done anything with it yet DON'T !
Get in contact with the Jack Daniels Collectors Society... you might be able to make (more than) your $ back on selling it ot a crazy collector. My Uncle is in the society. There's probably someone out there that would want it.

http://www.isjdc.org/

All I have done is taken the keg spear out, I haven't cut into it yet or anything. Here's some pictures.

I doubt it's worth anything, but I was just wondering what they used to keg.

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

I'm planning on polishing both of them, adding ball valves, sight glasses and temp probes. I've just never seen a JD keg before.

A burger joint in Chicago (Kuma's Korner) has Jack Daniels on tap. They use a ton of it when they cook. That would be my guess.

Hold off on the JD keg... those collectors are crazy. I'll send my Uncle the pictures and see if anyone is interested.

A burger joint in Chicago (Kuma's Korner) has Jack Daniels on tap. They use a ton of it when they cook. That would be my guess.

I remember in my younger days( ok so like 10 years ago) when we learned you could get JD in a keg. We seriously talked about doing it for a party, then realized we would need to have the rescue squad on call for all the alcohol poisoning that was going to be going on that night if we did that. Probably the only time we actually used our heads back then.

Hold off on the JD keg... those collectors are crazy. I'll send my Uncle the pictures and see if anyone is interested.

I can take better pictures. The ones I took were on my phone and don't really do the keg justice. It's in really good shape.

Hey man... I'ld get your price figured out. Theres' a couple people interested on FB from my Uncle's Friends. My Uncle msg'd me while I was typing this. Can you PM me your email?

Jack Daniel's used to make beer. I toured the distillery in 1995 and picked some up not far from there. I actually have some of the blue prints from when the brewery was constructed. I'm guessing that keg was from when they procuded beer. Don't think they'd store or ship the whiskey in one of those.

dap325 said:
http://www.jdcollectorspage.com/beer.html

This will tell you all about it. They had a brewery back in the 90's that did nothing but barrel aged beers. Ahead of its time?

Sounds like they have been to market too early. I was only a teenager, at the time. I mentioned it at work, and one lady remembered it and said it was horrible...she loves Coors Light.

It would be cool if some of their recipes surfaced and we were able to give them a go. Even though their brewery is gone, I'm sure they are still considered proprietary recipes and locked away in vault somewhere next to the Achy Breaky Heart cassettes...

Just an update.

I contacted Jack Daniels about three weeks ago via email with no response. Today I called and spoke with Randall Fanning, the senior marketing services coordinator. He gave me a little background on when Jack Daniels was making beer. Apparently it didn't go over too well and they only operated for a couple of years in the 90's.

He was sort of vague on if this thing had any actual market value but he did say that they are extremely rare, and that the distillery has held onto four of them. I tried to get a solid answer out of the dude and all I got was pretty much "Just throw it on ebay and see what it does." He was pretty shifty, so I decided get a second opinion.

When I got home from work I contacted an appraisal company for some more information. Here's part of the email I received in about an hour of sending them a description and a picture of the keg:

"To my understanding, the Jack Daniels kegs were part of a program to test something regarding cold storage transport, but I could not find any for sale. I checked with two Jack Daniels collectors, one a former executive, who said they had about 500 made for a lot test and that they were sold for scrap over two decades ago..."

Thanks for the advice on holding onto it, I'm glad I didn't cut this thing up. I am not a collector and apparently there's some crazy Jack Daniels guy out there that can give this thing a better home than I can. I'm going to get a second appraisal and probably take the dudes advice and just "throw" it on ebay now that I have some background information.

For those that PM'ed me, I will post the link to the auction in the appropriate section of the forum when I get everything together.

Again, thanks for the heads up.

Back