Checking i won't poison myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentesler

Reaction score
Brewing a fruit beer or the first time. To add the fruit i have froze the strawberries, then defrosted them, once thawed i added a teaspoon of youngs potassium metabisulphate to the bowl of strawberries, then left for 12 hours and i am now going to empty the contents of the bowl into a secondary and rack beer on top of it.. Only thing is, on the packaging of the sodium metabisulphate it says harmful when eaten. Is it fine to go ahead and rack the beer or am i going to poison myself haha ?

If I recall correctly a teaspoon might be a bit much. I think it's about about a 1/4 TSP per 6 gallons of wine, does the package have a recommended dosage?

Yes, one teaspoon per pint of water. But says that it is for sterilising home brewing and household implements, so not sure if it's appropriate to sterilise fruit with it

That seems like too much sulfites and could be carried over to your secondary. If I were in your shoes I would boil up so water, quickly cool it, and rinse your sulfited strawberries with the water to get the excess off of them prior to putting in secondary. The sterile water will ensure you don't introduce any new bacteria to them and help get the excess off.

Yes, one teaspoon per pint of water. But says that it is for sterilising home brewing and household implements, so not sure if it's appropriate to sterilise fruit with it

That is the dosage to make a sanitizing solution. Some people will use that instead of starsan or iodophor. The 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons is the dosage for killing off wild yeast. Sulphite levels will drop over time, but you may have an issue getting your bottles to carbonate if you are bottle conditioning if they haven't dropped enough. I would second the suggestion for the near boiling water rinse right before adding to secondary.

Back